View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Buying Votes

by , 08-31-2020 at 07:13 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    While it is illegal in the U.S.A. to pay some directly for their vote, it is lawful and traditional to pay them indirectly. I was reminded about this when I saw a headline about the so-called stimulus bill. Both the Dems and the Reps are trying to pass legislation that will provide money to people affected by the pandemic; i.e., everyone. They have been working on that for a few months, but they haven't managed to do it, yet. There are problems, because both parties want to make it look like they ...

Updated 08-31-2020 at 07:53 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Vaccine of No?

by , 08-16-2020 at 05:34 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Life is a Gamble

It seems that some people are lining up to refuse that Coronavirus vaccines that are being developed. That might be a good gamble, but vaccines have saved many, many more lives than they have hurt, but the odds vary dramatically from disease to disease.

The first vaccine was for Smallpox, and the word “vaccine” was derived from that, because a culture of Cowpox was given to a healthy person, who would develop immunity from that. Since Cowpox ...
  3. Howdy !!! with Roses... (ramblings)

Howdy !!!

I have often use the above affectation to start a post or conversation... it's folksy, and I believe I began using it after reading about Will Rogers the famous humorous, etc. It allows me to step out of my introvert tendencies - to open up and loosen up...

So, no wonder it became a source of great amusement to me when, years ago now, the great cartoonist Gary Larsen, who has begun 'tooning again in a limited way!!!, created a panel with vultures feeding on ...
    Categories
  4. Person to Person Communication

by , 08-11-2020 at 08:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A number of years ago, an old friend told me about the book that he had just read. The premise of the novel was that humans do not actually use speech to communicate; speech is an attention getting signal only; the actual communication is direct , mind-to-mind. We were staying at a friend's house, and the next morning someone else who was staying there was looking at albums to play, and mentioned something by the Moody Blues. I was not wildly enthusiastic about the Moody Blues, but I like some of ...
  5. Deaths of Two Parties

by , 08-08-2020 at 10:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Back in 2013 I started writing about the demise of the major political parties in the U.S.A., and it is taking a long time for them to get with the program, but it appears that we are approaching the end. W and the tea party fatally wounded the Republican Party, so much so that they nominated Trump and even got him elected. The final coup de grace will take place in the Fall election. The real problem will not be Trump’s defeat, but the attempt to put the party back together together with the attempts ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast