View RSS Feed

Joreads

Where have I been and what the hell have I been doing?

Rate this Entry
I recently came back to the forum and I was horrified to realize it had been nearly two years since I had been here. What on earth had I been doing with my time a thought that has been increasingly bothering me?

Well in my defense in December 2011 I graduated uni after seven long years, working fulltime and studying part time was not always easy . 2012 is a different story there is no in “ my defence “ answer other than, it took me about four months to get use to the fact that I didn't have to be somewhere four nights a week at a certain time, that I could watch TV without feeling guilty about the study that I was not doing, that I didn't have to pick up a book unless I really wanted to. For months I would be in the middle of something and suddenly panic – where am I supposed to be /what am I supposed to be doing, of course the answers were nowhere and nothing. Catching up with friends no longer involves the uni library and I can go out for dinners and coffee mid-week, not to mention a movie!!!

It came as a surprise to me that at first I missed it my life had been so regimented for such a long time I had no idea what to do with myself, literally no idea. Yet at the same time I cannot tell you what a relief it was to finally have uni behind me, to see my degree finally hanging on the wall. At the tender age of 41 I am finally out of school for the first time ever.
Have I finally gotten use to my new life? – Oh yes and I love it. I am finally able to read once again for pleasure, to watch TV and if I feel like it doing absolutely nothing at all (I am not really good at that but I am trying to learn). I have even enrolled in some one day courses – work related – it was so nice to turn up at 9 am leave at 5 pm to have learnt something and not have to sit an exam or hand in a paper.

What are my plans – that is the question that everyone keeps asking me and my standard answer is to start living my life.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congratulations!
    Jo, that is a darn long haul. Good for you! Bast wishes!
    Fantastic on your accomplishment! You obviously are a very disciplined person. I got my master's at night one or two classes at a time and it took me twelve years, but there were some semesters there I didn't go. I think I was thirty-nine when I finished out. I've never had the desire to go back though every once in a while i wish I could attend a class on on a particular author I would love to go deeper into. And frankly I wouldn't even want that if I had access to a good research library near my home.

I had wondered what happened to you. You came to New York City for a vacation the same week my wife and I left for Kazakhstan two years ago. It was unfortunate timing. And then you disappeared for two yearfs and I wondered if you even survived New York. Thank God you did.
    Thanks Guys

Virgil we survived New York and loved it - we will be back.

Wow 12 years - there is nothing like finally getting it finished is there. The next thing I do will be for pure enjoyment.