View RSS Feed

Virgil

Local Favorite Foods in Shymkent

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
If you look up the cuisine of Kazakhs, you’ll find it’s based on mutton, horse meat, and mare’s milk. Well, I’ve had plenty of mutton, but we’ve avoided anything to do with horse. However, I don’t think we’ve actually come across a Kazak restaurant per se. The better restaurants tend to refer to themselves as having Uzbek cuisine. The Kazaks and Uzbeks are ethnic cousins, and as I understand it, they both came from the same nomadic Turkish roots, and while the Kazaks remained nomadic for much longer, the Uzbeks settled down which led to a refiner and more sophisticated culture. I’m not going to characterize either of the cultures as better than the other, but the cuisine seems to be dominated by Uzbek heritage. So some of the favorite foods we encountered you will be able to find at your local, hideaway Uzbek restaurant.

Let me first say, the breads out here are outstanding. I think I mentioned this in an earlier blog and provided a picture of an artistically shaped bread. I’ll provide it here again to show what care they take on the breads. They do come in different shapes, but they all seem to combine a soft raised section with a flat crispy section, such as here, the crispy middle surrounded by the soft bready part.

I also mentioned in an earlier blog how I randomly picked an option off a menu and was shocked to discover this incredible dish of meat, vegetables, over long string noodle. Well, that dish we are happy to have learned is called Lagman. There may be several types of Lagman, but I going to be generic here and just say it’s a lamb stew with vegetables with lots of spices (cumin or celeriac predominates I think) over the noodles.

Another fantastic dish that we’ve discovered is plov, a fried rice with lamb and assorted accoutrements such as chick peas, carrots, raisins, or garlic. Some might know plov as pilaf and I understand they are variations of each other.

Another item we’ve enjoyed is manti, a dumpling with meat and onions inside. It actually looks very much like a Chinese dumpling, and they offer you soy sauce as well to put over it. Very tasty.

Samsa can be either a small meat and onion filled pastry or an entire pie with the filling. We’ve had both. This is a picture of a pastry cut sliced open to reveal the insides:

Those are the more exotic dishes we’ve enjoyed, but we also do love the shashlik (shish ka bob), either with mutton or chicken, and they seem to serve it with raw onion and some type of moderately spicy sauce to put on it. They don’t seem to use very hot spices in anything, but they will spice things up for taste. I was very surprised at how good the pizzas are out here, but given they do breads and pastries so well I shouldn’t have been. Their pizzas are typically thin crust with cheeses and ground meat toppings. They also have an assortment of salads, many using a mayonnaise based dressing. We tried a couple of those and they are innovative. I couldn’t tell you what’s in them though. We really preferred the cucumber and tomato salad, which seemed to be everywhere. It usually comes with just a drop of oil and plenty of dill, and they will put some white vinegar on the table if you wish to add it.

We also enjoyed a chicken club sandwich – three layers which included extremely thin sliced chicken breast, pickles, tomato, mayo, and dill. They do use mayo and dill a lot out here. In fact on their hamburgers they will use either mayo alone or mayo and ketchup, which in essence is Russian dressing. We got this burrito type of food at the food court in the mall and it contained beef strips, pepper strips, onions, cucumber, tomato, and French fries, all within the wrap, and filled with Russian dressing. Oh and if you thought French fries were a good old American item, forget it. They love them out here. That eatery at the food court where we got that wrap was kind of odd. It billed itself as a combination Turkish fast food/sushi bar.

One thing that everyone loves out here is soft ice cream on a cone. They have all these little stands where it’s sold and for 30 Tenge (about 20 cents) you can get a cone topped with chocolate powder. You can’t even get the cone for that price back home. The ice cream is not as sugary as back home, nor I think as fatty. Everyone seems to get them every day, and why not for that price. Here’s an actual picture of my 20 cent ice cream cone I got the other day.

Many people asked about that yellow melon I mentioned in the last blog. I never did find out the species, but I guess it’s somewhere between a canary and a cucumis melon. Here are a couple of pictures. If anyone recognizes it, please let me know what it is.

Finally with all this food I will have to talk about my growing little Matthew. Well, apparently he loves to eat. They say he demands an extra bottle as compared to the other children his age. He’s a few days short of ten months and they told us today he’s 22.9 lbs (10.35 kg). That puts him high in percentile for his age, especially considering he’s been at an orphanage. He’s put on 3.2 lbs (1.45 kg) in the six weeks we’ve been with him. The other children his age look kind of puny next to him. He may grow up to be a football player. My son, the linebacker. And here’s a picture (you didn’t think I would not include one ) of him showing off his two growing baby teeth, ready to sink them into some good Uzbek foods.

Oh, an update from the last blog: We have been assigned a court date and it is Thursday, July 1st at 10:30 AM!! Keep your fingers crossed.

Updated 06-29-2010 at 05:48 AM by Virgil

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    You made me hungry, Virgil And I keep my fingers crossed for July 1st -- luckily your date isn't on July 3rd when my finger-crossing is demanded for another purpose already -- Worldcup-wise (just kidding )
    Ah thank you Lulim. Of all the teams that are remaining, I'm hoping for Germany too. They seem like very likable young men on top of their football skills. Let's hope that both July 1st and 3rd goes off as we hope.
    The pictures are great. I like travelling stories, and food is always interesting.

Matthew looks really happy.
    I'd call that melon a honeydew melon, but my dictionary tells me that's what you think it is anyways.

That little boy is adorable! So, that's Matthew then, very nice name. (It seems I've missed a few blog entries, sorry. I'm supposed to be a subscriber but apparently, I get notified only every second or third entry.)
    that food does look rather tasty!
    So that is what Manti is? I was looking in my turkish cookbook the other day and couldnt figure it out. They look like dim sum.

That looks like a Galia Melon. They are my favourite melons. I love honeydew melons too but there is just something about a galia melon. I could eat one in one sitting. they are delicious!

although it could be a hami melon?
    Updated 06-29-2010 at 10:01 AM by Niamh
    You are in my thoughts. Goodluck to you at the court date, but I'm certain the two of you will be fine. Before you know it, you are going to be on a plane home with Matthew :D

As always I love the pictures, and I may have to recreate the dish with the bulb of garlic in it. That looks amazing. As for Matthew's teeth, it is also likely that he's going to try them out on Mommy and Daddy and you'll have the marks to prove it :lol:

Much love to you all.
    Meg
    Dear Virgil & Co. Those foods remind me of the ethnic foods, sort of, that I grew up with... Polock, Lithuanian but not so much Irish. Hang in there. Ron
    There are many varieties of pulao here as well. It is one easy to make dish.

That yellow melon looks like a muskmelon to me; it's available mostly during summer.

And, Matthew is one happy baby. Love his open smile
    Ditto on it looking like a Galia melon. All the food looks good, except the Mr Whippy ice cream which I've never been fond of. Matthew looks like a happy boy; fingers crossed for Thursday.
    Thank you all! I will let you know how Thursday goes.

It is definitely not a galia melon. The skin on a galia is like a cantolope and this skin was definitely not like a cantolope. These are galia melons: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...galia&gs_rfai=. The skin is completely different from what I had.

Someone on a different site identified it and I think she's definitely correct. It's a cucumis melo (not sure why they drop the "n" from melon) and it's native to Kazakhstan. Here:
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/96209/.

The one on that site has a greener skin, but I think mine has ripen more. You can also see that green in my melon as well.
    These pictures are mouthwatering.
    The dish in the second picture, we call it pulao in Urdu.
    Well I have some pictures of melons i'll show you tomorrow.

The photos are great and the cutest of them all is Matthew's photo. Just look at his tiny teeth!
    U-m-m-m, the food looks delicious and is making my mouth water, especially the Plov. That ice cream looks like what we would call soft-serv here, sort of like what you'd get at a Tastee-Freeze, or now of course at McDonald's. When I was little we would sometimes eat vanilla ice cream with a little sprinkling of Nestle's chocolate milk powder.

Matthew looks happy. Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.
    July 1, here you all come. I'll be watching eagerly for the first blog entry after the court date. I guess photographing all that food substituted (in part) for eating it!

Best wishes... to the three of you.
    Thank you guys.

Snowqueen - plov is also spelled palov which is very similar to you pulao. They must be related recipe cousins. It's also called pilaf in other places, or at least related to it.

Qimi - it is soft served and comes out of the same type of machine ours does.

Prince - The first four pictures are images pulled off the internet. The last four are off my camera.
    Well, most of this food is non-veg, so it did not tempt me. But that icecream is something very commonly available in India too and looks tempting with that chocolate sprinkle on it. The melon also resembles what Mathuri told already is called a musk-melon available here in summers. It's my favorite fruit.
    And the star attraction of the blog as always is Matthew. What an adorably happy baby he is!
    All the best with your court date.
    Good luck tomorrow, then.

As for the food, I am glad that I have just eaten, because those pictures made me hungry again (I do hope you are getting enough excercise?).

/Claes
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaesGefvenberg
    Good luck tomorrow, then.

As for the food, I am glad that I have just eaten, because those pictures made me hungry again (I do hope you are getting enough excercise?).

/Claes
    No. I started a routine at the beginning where I was doing about a half hour worth of calisthetics in the morning, and that went on for about three weeks. But I've slacked off. We were doing quite a bit of walking also at the beginning when everything was new and we wanted to explore, but we've explored everything there is here and now it's so very hot that we've slacked off on that too. What has saved us are the portions. Portions are smaller here and we do not go out for every meal. I believe we've actually lost weight. We have both gone to a tighter notch on our belts. So don't worry about that.

Thanks Claes.
    Check it out Virgil, this melon has the shape of an American football.

http://www.online-literature.com/for...pictureid=7439
    Yummo Virgil, This trip has broadened your tastebuds as well as your family.

Good luck on July 1st. Have a feeling you won't need it though. Mwah to you and Puss.
    That was so interesting. Thanks for reminding me.
    And it's July 1st today. I bet the blog I haven't seen yet is about the event.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast