View RSS Feed

title

Ajigaba!!

Rate this Entry
Mason made up a magic word, AJIGABA. It's been my very favorite word. He uses this word to stop me from telling him to do something. If he says it with just the right magical flair it works. It cracks me up and I forget what I'm telling him to do. Since Mason has had such great success with this magic word we have all taken to using it. If the kids are fighting I can do a fancy ajigaba and they stop. I think it would work for you, too, but you'd have to master the magical flair delivery.

However, there is one problem with the word. Last weekend I finished a book called The Girl Who Fell From the Sky. I learned that there is a similar sounding bad word, jigaboo. If, like me, you are unfamiliar with the word it akin to nigger. This knowledge has really effected my use of the magic word.

Mason is unfamiliar with the bad word and I don't want to tell him about it. We have a long list of bad words at our house that range from shut-up and stupid all the way up to curse words. I don't have a problem explaining how we don't use certain words. I just don't want to explain to my seven year old son that people are nasty to others and that can make innocent things appear bad.

It makes me sad that there is so much hatefulness in the world.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I love the things kids come up with :)

I wasn't familiar with jigaboo until a couple of years ago myself. I still don't really get it, but then I suppose it is enough that I know not to use it. It is always hard to try and explain to little ones why people are the way they are. It makes it worse when your house is not like that, and they're not raised to think like that.
    Ajigaba is really cool and it sounds like it's Kazak. Maybe I should use it out here and see if it's equally magic for me. It doesn't seem to me that jigaboo sounds anywhere like Ajigaba. I can't see how he would confuse the two.