View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Gun Crazy?

by , 10-09-2015 at 08:35 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have read a few items recently that suggest that many people think that Americans are obsessed with guns, firearms. That idea is mistaken. While there are some people who love guns more than is reasonable, Americans have no particular affection for guns; they reserve their love for people who might appreciate it, rather than having love for inanimate objects.

Comments about Americans being gun crazy usually come out shortly after some mentally unbalanced person has slain several ...

Updated 10-10-2015 at 02:12 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Political Cynicism

by , 10-03-2015 at 08:02 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Cynicism

1. An inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; skepticism.
    "Public cynicism about politics"
    Synonyms: skepticism, doubt, distrust, mistrust, suspicion, disbelief.
    pessimism, negativity, world-weariness, disenchantment

2. A school of ancient Greek philosophers, the Cynics.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...glish/cynicism

I will confess ...
  3. Banning Books

by , 09-30-2015 at 11:46 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I noticed that this is Banned Books Week, so I looked at the ALA (American Library Association) website to see what they have about it. http://www.ala.org/bbooks/ It includes lists of banned books, and it brought tears to my eyes. For the decade 2001 – 2010 the Harry Potter series leads the list as the most banned in the U.S. I only read the first four, so I don’t know how good the rest are, but the ones I read were very good. It isn’t literature for the centuries, but it’s better than the Hardy ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. What books can do to you!?

by , 09-27-2015 at 10:23 AM (day in a life)
    I am taking a course called literature and medicine, the professors have a literary background but they teach a course similar to this one for medical students too and now they are bringing this to us MA literature students. I really enjoy the class and I find the whole thing very, very interesting. But some of the books I have been reading have a let's say difficult impact on me. One is by an author from the ice and is about the time her husband was diagnosed and died from a brain tumour. She describes ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The Dominant Sex

by , 09-25-2015 at 06:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It probably is a mistake for me to write this, but I had to start it.
    There is much too much in this matter for me to thoroughly cover it in a blog post. A three hundred page book would be a better start.

The Economist had an article this week (link below) that reinforces what most people have long known; i.e., that females are still the dominant sex among humans. I realize that many people mouth the converse of that, but woman have always controlled everything ...

Updated 09-26-2015 at 03:54 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized