Blog Comments

Yes, it is pretty ugly. I have nothing against direct and honest oligarchy or monarchy, but trying to claim that they are democratic is offensive.
    If you are curious, this is the blog, link to newest post there. With a suitable perspective, it is funny. This post argues that oligarchy is more democratic than broad based representation.
    http://abetteramherst.org/2017/11/19...participation/
    It seems like the people who want to run the town don't want anyone watching them. The Town Meeting can look into matters, and it could set up standing committees like congress, but it hasn't, and the present proposal will eliminate the town meeting and leave very little citizen oversight over town business. Money is already spent with reckless abandon, without citizens watching I wonder how much more recklessly spending will be.
    How ugly is that!

Let us truly hope that the citizens get their heads on straight and take charge.

Good luck, Peter, and I hope your letter got printed!
    This is a good one.
    Pretty sure it's an alien. But I see no reason why aliens can't be zombies too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebiird
    A watermelon carved to look something like a zombie. Well. That's my plan at least. Hollow it out. Shave the skin off the top leaving a little red flesh and carve a brain into that then try and do a zombie-ish face just like you would with a pumpkin. That's the plan.

In regards to your zombie convict being a bad guy. Did you ever consider that the zombie convict was wrongly convicted? Maybe he's innocent and your son is highlighting the prejudice against zombies.
    Or maybe he just thought it looked cool.
    That's funny. Now I had forgotten all the neat smiles Lit Net has. I don't know what this one is supposed to be but it kind of looks like a zombie.

Ah heck for old time's sake, here's a bunch of smilies:

I won't do the beating the dead horse one. That one always seemed like animal cruelty.
    Yikes, don't do that.
    Gosh, Virgil, I really cannot say for sure ...
    What a pressure cooker that would be, as I would be afraid to point out the 'wrong' person... and THAT could mean someone innocent spending time in the clink?? ....
    A watermelon carved to look something like a zombie. Well. That's my plan at least. Hollow it out. Shave the skin off the top leaving a little red flesh and carve a brain into that then try and do a zombie-ish face just like you would with a pumpkin. That's the plan.

In regards to your zombie convict being a bad guy. Did you ever consider that the zombie convict was wrongly convicted? Maybe he's innocent and your son is highlighting the prejudice against zombies.
    Or maybe he just thought it looked cool.
    Updated 11-08-2017 at 04:13 PM by Bluebiird
    Speaking of zombies, my son - who is eight years old now (my how time flies) - went as a zombie convict for Halloween this year. This is the first year he went as a villain character, and frankly I didn't like it. He's always gone as some sort of positive or super hero character. What does a zombie convict look like? Well I posted pictures on my blog. Here if you want to see:
    http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot....ween-2017.html

Now somehow I get the feeling I asked you this once before, and forgive me for repeating myself, but what the heck is a zombie melon?
    Boy a cross examining lawyer would have a field day with you...lol.

But you remembered the radio was taken and if that person were in a police line I bet you could have picked her out. No?
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws
    The falsely pushed ideas (Anthropogenic Climate Change and the Ozone Hole) you mention here is just a drop in the proverbial bucket, as a lot of us know.
    Yes, those are just two of the most obvious, and the real data is out there in plain sight.

More example of "give the masses what they want to hear" ... you can fool some of the people SOME of the time, but you cannot fool ALL the people All of the time, to quote a cliché.
    It may be cliché, but it is one of the few smart things that Abe Lincoln ever said.

You ask the question "why do people prefer faked information over actual facts?" Perhaps it is to keep our politicians comfortable in their plush offices and plush lifestyles -- they'd be out on their arses fast enough if they start a widespread panic (which WOULD happen if half the stuff we are BS'd with came to light). Makes me ask the question, WHO is responsible for all this?
    There are many possibilities, but most of the possibilities are valid only for some instances of BS. The politicians are being misled as much as the plebeians are being misled; although the politicians may have some information that isn't commonly available. One of the problems is that many of the people who are supposed to be trustworthy are not; for example, physicians are still advising people to lower their cholesterol level, even though cholesterol level is irrelevant to anything, but the physicians were trained decades ago and they haven't kept up with developments. That's just one example.

People need to stop being timid and just ask the questions.

Enough of herd mentality already...

You go, Peter! Keep doing what you are doing.
    People have to first figure out what the questions should be. People often bark up the wrong tree.
    The falsely pushed ideas (Anthropogenic Climate Change and the Ozone Hole) you mention here is just a drop in the proverbial bucket, as a lot of us know.

More example of "give the masses what they want to hear" ... you can fool some of the people SOME of the time, but you cannot fool ALL the people All of the time, to quote a cliché.

You ask the question "why do people prefer faked information over actual facts?" Perhaps it is to keep our politicians comfortable in their plush offices and plush lifestyles -- they'd be out on their arses fast enough if they start a widespread panic (which WOULD happen if half the stuff we are BS'd with came to light). Makes me ask the question, WHO is responsible for all this?

People need to stop being timid and just ask the questions....

Enough of herd mentality already...

You go, Peter! Keep doing what you are doing.
    I think that we live in a day and age where the forensic technology has become pretty unbeatable when proving crimes. But anyhow, that is another topic. We were discussing 'reliable witnesses', is there such a thing...

I lean towards PB's point, about how juries are convinced sometimes by 'eye witnesses'. So I do wonder about "justice" ...
    I would like to think I'm observant of people, maybe too observant.
    Eyewitness accounts aren't all they're cracked up to be. Even more dangerous is that memory sometimes adds details that weren't there just to fill out the picture. Have you ever had to remember an important "either-or" situation (I wrote that check last month, right?) only to have your memory play it back to you both ways? Better to use logic/deduction first and memory/witness as a backup. On the other hand, eyewitness testimony is convincing to juries. Kind of makes you wonder how many innocent people may be sitting in prison. Scary.
    I am a cynic, and I try to make that obvious to everyone.

Giving the people what they want to hear is one thing, but Jim Jones and L. Ron Hubbard shoved what they wanted the commoners to accept, even though they wanted something vastly different from what was presented. Francis of Assisi may have been somewhat charismatic, but Jo Smith was a professional con man who preyed upon the most ignorant and gullible, and Smith's nature was obvious to anyone who looked. The commoners actually want to hear what I say, but they have been told that to listen to such things is sinful.
    Thank you, tailor and Danik.
    Part of the success of the famous people you mentioned -- all were charismatic. Ya gotta have charisma to successfully white wash what it is you are trying to sell, be it a notion, a creed, a way of life...etc.

White washing the masses -- common creed here is "Giving the masses what they want to hear" -- that is presuming plenty, but doggone it, it works! For example, no one wants to know that every piece of bread or every cracker topped with cheese is filled with noxious substances that are the norm now in agriculture. The info is out there, but, no one wants to really get into it... they're comfortable being misinformed ("our government would never allow us to be in a bad place for eating a piece of bread") ... really?! Don't forget -- MONEY is the name of the game...

Whenever the 'elephant in the room' is mentioned, you get eye-rolling, the ol' "she's at it again", doom and gloom... So it is no darn wonder that the scam artists are successful.

I'm not a cynic ... I just talk like one...
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws
    I LOVED this blog entry. Very well said indeed.
    I thank you. I'm glad someone likes it.
    I LOVED this blog entry. Very well said indeed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast