View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. A Little Lost

by , 01-04-2016 at 02:47 PM (Barmy Blue's Bland Blog)
    Ever feel lost after Christmas? I'm feeling a bit lost. This won't be up to my usual standard. I don't have Word to type in so I'm using Notepad. No spellcheck or paragraphs. I'm trying to get to grips with a new PC and, I have most of what I'd usually do sorted out. But now the thing that's really bugging me is that I don't have Word on it yet. I'm really starting to get that writing itch for my mad scientist project but I'm lazy. I like to have word to spellcheck and look up better words, it's ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

It's been a long time since I last read Stoic philosophy. I think the last work of this type that I read was the brief Handbook of Epictetus as an undergraduate. I didn't like it much. Mostly because my girlfriend at the time (who was a major repair-job) loved it. She was using the emotional detachment ideas to get over this jerk she dated before me. Nice. As a result, I thought that stoicism was just a mask that emotionally weak people wore to hide the honest and hard-earned scars on their souls. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. I Think of the Small Things. . . .

We just finished final presentations in my classes. I teach -- community college, English & Philosophy (picked up Masters Degree #2 in Philosophy a couple years ago; this enables me to teach the love of wisdom to American CC students). I think of Sara's presentation of whether American Literature matters: it was expertly organized and focused on emotional intelligence. Sure, she picked up on a thread that I was communicatin' to them: that one of literature's practical uses is to train us emotionally. ...

Updated 01-03-2016 at 10:47 PM by The Comedian

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. what I'm reading

"Bats of the Republic" by Z.T. Dodson (a gift).
    Categories
  5. 1.1.2016

Pristine and beautiful,
    the song sings sweetly on.
    A million loves wrapped in one,
    Here she sings for all days.
    'All are welcome,'
    The branches quietly wave.
    Effortless and free,
    Whole heart,
    Every part,
    Raising,