View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Writing Fiction versus Writing Non-Fiction

by , 02-15-2017 at 05:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently, I was talking to someone about some of the works of Samuel L. Clemens, AKA Mark Twain. I was encouraging the other person to read Roughing It and Life on the Mississippi, both of which are memoirs, rather than fiction. Then we touched on the matter of most of Twain’s fiction not being all that good. But that made sense, because Twain was a reporter of considerable experience, so he wrote in a reportorial fashion.

Good reporters are honest people who are inclined to accurately ...

Updated 02-15-2017 at 06:03 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. St. Valentine’s Day

by , 02-11-2017 at 04:53 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I am opposed to holidays of all sorts, and that includes Saint Valentine’s Day, especially as it is commonly celebrated with the notes and comments of love, etc. I never before bothered looking into what he is alleged to have done, but it appears that he was being tried for trying to spread Christianity, and the judge challenged him to restore the sight of his daughter, which he did. So why is Valentine associated with sexual attraction? It would make more sense if Valentine were in charge of improving ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Writing about Writing

by , 02-05-2017 at 09:28 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was asked today when I would be posting to my blog again. Alas, I have been busy trying to get my novel into shape for publishing, so I confessed that and decided that I should start plugging my novel. When I last looked, it was about 93,000 words and formatted as a trade paperback came to about three hundred pages. The title will be “Harry’s Time Tours, Inc.” I had been thinking of it as Studies in Causation, but I have been having trouble remembering that title; although it might be a good title ...

Updated 02-05-2017 at 09:37 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. How Long?

by , 01-27-2017 at 07:38 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Donald Trump has been president of the United States of America for days, but because of his ignorance of relevant laws and procedures, he has already done several things that could be considered high crimes and misdemeanors adequate for impeachment and removal from office. In addition, he has demonstrated an extreme lack of interest in the real job of the president, which is to enforce the actions of the Congress. In business Trump has been unsuccessful, except when he has declared bankruptcy and ...
  5. Illusion of Free Will

by , 01-22-2017 at 05:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The concept that humans are able to freely make decisions and act upon them is quite common, and it appears to have existed for many thousands of years, at least. On the surface it often appears that people are making their own decisions, and so on, but on a deeper level, human activities probably are controlled by events and causes that are outside the control of those persons.

A strong argument can be made that everything that happens is the result of earlier causes; although it ...