View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Rule of Law

by , 12-29-2019 at 04:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    If you want a world of savagery where the law of the jungle is paramount, then is for you, but if you have an interest in living in a civil society with complicated interactions with other humans, then more laws are required.

There are some people who doubt the validity of Hobbes' Theory of Social Contract. They think that they want no government at all. There are places in the world where there is no effective government, no government other than criminal gangs; those are dangerous ...
  2. My First Non-depressed Christmas

by , 12-27-2019 at 02:49 AM (Barmy Blue's Bland Blog)
    So far at least.
    Hello. Long time no see
    Why so long?
    Several reasons. Laziness mostly.
    I decided to drop in so that you know I'm alive.
    One quick note. In the New Year of 2019 (the first week or two) my computer broke. Still don't know why. Probably because I'd get up, turn it on and it would stay on until I went to bed whether or not I was actually doing anything on it. It's a home computer. Not an office computer. It wasn't designed for that level of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Non-extinction of Neanderthals

by , 12-14-2019 at 09:08 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have read many times that Neanderthals became extinct. That annoys me, because it is false. It may seem like a delicate piece of sophistry, but extinction is when a species, subspecies, or variety dies out, leaving no descendants. That is tied in with some people inaccurately referring to Neanderthals as a species; they are not a species separate from H. sapiens. This may seem like picking nits, but if we can get the details right, then we can better understand the whole picture.

4. High Crimes

by , 12-05-2019 at 04:58 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It has come to my attention that some people do not believe that Donald J. Trump has done anything for which he should be impeached, convicted, and thrown out of office. Maybe those people are confused by the phrase used in the Constitution for reasons for impeachment and conviction: “high crimes and misdemeanors”. That isn’t how it would be put these days, but high crimes means felonies or major crimes, but the term misdemeanor has not significantly changed over the years, and it still means lesser ...