View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Fine Art of False Premises

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Using false premises allows one to create a seemingly logical argument that is false. An easy way to build on false premises is to base one’s argument on opinions, rather than facts. For example, sometime last week I saw several things to the effect that ACC had caused hurricane Harvey. The first time I heard that, I just laughed, but with several repeats I started to be concerned. Apparently, some people have forgotten that hurricanes existed even back in the Little Ice Age; they start without climate change being needed, but that has escaped the notice of some people. But the creators of Anthropogenic Climate Change have claimed that it will make bigger and better storms. And it is easy to say that some storm is the biggest ever, when hurricanes have only been measured thoroughly for a few decades. Starting from the premise that Anthropogenic Climate Change will make hurricanes bigger and stronger and more common it is easy get to ACC caused Hurricane Harvey, but it doesn't make it true. Just as to the man with only a hammer everything is a nail, to the believers in ACC everything is caused by ACC. But those who know climatology know that the atmosphere is chaotic, so it is extremely difficult to predict what a given input will do.

In politics
But false premises are even more common in some other fields. For example, if it weren't for false premises Trump wouldn't have much to say. His presidency and the campaign leading to it have been based on the premise that as president Trump could act however he wished without regard for the law. Apparently, he started his presidential campaign to get some business in Russia. Trump was sure that he would lose, so he didn't even think about policy or futures cabinet officers, etc. Well, his basic assumption that he would lose was wrong, as results he has not done the Russian deal, whatever that was, he has been called upon to run the government, which he is not capable of doing.

Pseudo-science
Another recent example I saw was in an article about the loss of land in the outer delta of the Mississippi River. The article claimed that it was being caused by sea level rising due to ACC, but those islands have been disappearing since the mouth of the Mississippi River was channelized. The Army Corps of Engineers did the work, and it started even before the Civil War, and the channelization was completed in the 1920's. The result was that silt that had spread around the mouth and added to the islands in that area was sent straight out to sea, where it turns the Gulf brown for about a hundred miles. It used to be that when the river flooded the surrounding areas would pick up a layer of silt, but with the river inside levees the silt can't get out there and raise the land. While New Orleans was built on low land, most of it was above water level. If the writer if that article had bothered to do a little research, then it would have been clear that rising sea level was not an issue to those islands, just as parts of the city of New Orleans haven't become below sea level due to that rise. The land was reclaimed from underwater areas; although the rise of the river's level has led to them being even farther below sea level.

Alternate History
There are more false premises in what the people who are taking down monuments to Confederate heroes are claiming. One falsehood upon which their actions are based is that the Second War for Independence was started to preserve slavery. It started over taxes and tariffs. The South's main export was to be taxed higher, and in addition, there was a clash of cultures. The South was mostly agrarian made up of mostly small farmers, while the North was becoming progressively more industrialized and urban. Workers in the different regions were treated similarly, but in the South some of the workers were property of the plantation owners, while in the North the factory owners did not own the workers, so they could treat them worse. Flogging workers was common, except in transportation on board ships (flogging sailors had been outlawed a few years earlier as a result of the uproar from Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana), but it was done, and it was an easy way to lose workers, if the workers could afford to move, which they seldom could do. Factory workers in some places were not even allowed to take breaks for calls of nature, while field hands could move freely and care for themselves, as long as they did the work.

And more
If you found this at all interesting, then read my next post, which is more about using false premises and the advantages to be gained from them.

Updated 09-13-2017 at 07:53 PM by PeterL

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

For example, if it weren't for false premises Trump wouldn't have much to say. His presidency and the campaign leading to it have been based on the premise that as president Trump could act however he wished without regard for the law. Apparently, he started his presidential campaign to get some business in Russia. Trump was sure that he would lose, so he didn't even think about policy or futures cabinet officers, etc. Well, his basic assumption that he would lose was wrong, as results he has not done the Russian deal, whatever that was, he has been called upon to run the government, which he is not capable of doing.
    I always receive a smile when I read your words, Peter. Being Canadian, I don't really follow the day-to-day's about your president. However, I do believe that all of Canada (and the world, for that matter), were glued to their televisions during the Presidential Debates, and the LONG road to the white house. Personally, I found that whole process amazing (as in the sense of 'unbelievable', lol) ... but anyhow...

Back to False Premises ... I think of the middle aged women (or older, for that matter), pouring countless dollars into creams and potions that are guaranteed to bring a youthful look... C'mon... once you have a wrinkle, it is THERE. Period. Oh the advertising and their claims... so sickening.

Sad that folks are not happy in their skins, and depend on all of this nonsense in order to keep up with the status quo...
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws
    I always receive a smile when I read your words, Peter. Being Canadian, I don't really follow the day-to-day's about your president. However, I do believe that all of Canada (and the world, for that matter), were glued to their televisions during the Presidential Debates, and the LONG road to the white house. Personally, I found that whole process amazing (as in the sense of 'unbelievable', lol) ... but anyhow...
    I didn't watch any of those debates; they would have annoyed me too much, nor do I bother with much of the day-to-day; it just isn't worth the trouble. I also found the two years of campaigning to be well over the top. They should have been able to start in June and finish before November. That's one of the reasons why I am trying to get people to proclaim me Emperor, then there will no more foolish elections.

Back to False Premises ... I think of the middle aged women (or older, for that matter), pouring countless dollars into creams and potions that are guaranteed to bring a youthful look... C'mon... once you have a wrinkle, it is THERE. Period. Oh the advertising and their claims... so sickening.

Sad that folks are not happy in their skins, and depend on all of this nonsense in order to keep up with the status quo...
    I think that Canada also exempts advertisers for some fraud laws for "fluff", also known as false advertising. There are ways to get rid of some wrinkles, but they cost a lot. And who would want to get rid of them? Placebos cost less and usually work better.
    Updated 09-15-2017 at 07:18 AM by PeterL
    That's one of the reasons why I am trying to get people to proclaim me Emperor, then there will no more foolish elections
    Ha ha ha!
    I think that Canada also exempts advertisers for some fraud laws for "fluff", also known as false advertising. There are ways to get rid of some wrinkles, but thye cost a lot. And who wouldl want to get rid of them? Placebos cost less and usually work better.
    Yes, quite true, 'fluff' tends to be swept under the proverbial carpet... after all, there IS money to be made... *sigh*
    Ha ha ha!
    If it is desired, then I can be Emperor of Canada also. If not for giardia, it would be part of the U.S.A. already.

Yes, quite true, 'fluff' tends to be swept under the proverbial carpet... after all, there IS money to be made... *sigh*
    But fluff will be outlawed when I become Emperor. It is false and misleading.
    Ahhhh, enjoy your blog so much Peter.
    Wish more folks would post their take on these discussions, they are really good (and/or amusing, hee hee!).
    C'mon Lit Netters -- what do YOU think!
    Ahhhh, enjoy your blog so much Peter.
    Wish more folks would post their take on these discussions, they are really good (and/or amusing, hee hee!).
    C'mon Lit Netters -- what do YOU think!
    Comments on blogs aren't all that plentiful on any site of platform. While there are a very few bloggers who get huge numbers of views and comments, most blogs get a few dozen views and no comments. A few of my posts have generated a fair number of comments, and some of my posts have had thousands of views, but thoise have been few and far between. Interestingly, the ones with the greatest number of views have had few or no comments, and the ones that got the most comments haven't gotten large numbers of views.

I would rather that people bought my books:
    https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Lewicke/e/B00OF8K6JS
    The Gods Complain: and Other Stories
    https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Complain...5502772&sr=1-2
    and
    Harry's Time Tours (Just because it didn't happen here doesn't mean that it never happened.)
    https://www.amazon.com/Harrys-Time-T.../dp/1543033628
    Updated 09-15-2017 at 04:13 PM by PeterL
    May I kindly congratulate you, Peter, on being a published author!
    That is awesome!
    May I kindly congratulate you, Peter, on being a published author!
    That is awesome!
    I thank you, but you needn't hold me in awe. Merely ordinary respect would be adequate.
    Updated 09-18-2017 at 07:15 AM by PeterL
    Ha ha... typical PeterL!
    Ha ha... typical PeterL!