View RSS Feed

title

Finished Anna

Rate this Entry
War and Peace was far from being a joyful entralling read. I felt Tolstoy wastrying to cover too much ground and many of the characters were given short sceneswithout depth just to push the story along which in itself lacked cohesion.

Anna Karenia was a revelation. This kept my interest up from beginning to end. Poor Anna-I seriously do not know what to make of her. I have hadthe misfortune of knowing some shall we say 'mental' ladies and have the burn scars to prove it. Anna is tragic in the classic manner. A lovelless marriage interupted by a knight in shining armor so to speak. Vronsky aways suprised me by being a dcent sort of soul and he too is much to be pitied. None of the characters seem evil evem Anna's husband has his sadnessso buried deep inside even he can;t seem to recognize it. I hope--probably in vain he escapes the Countess' cluches but his interest in the Clairvoyant bodes ill for his future.

Anyway well read --well thought of.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats, Rich! Maybe I'll read it someday. It just looks so sad.
    Congrads! I also preferred Anna Karenina over War and Peace. But they are both incredible books and you can now say you read both. I am a Tolstoy loyalist.
    I sometimes feel like Anna, and understand her. Other times, I've read the book and gone "What the hell, lady, get a life!".

All in all, Stiva is probably my favorite character, as I found him the most believable and likeable... but each to their own.
    Fantastic Rich. Now what are you going to read? How about Moby Dick? I'm going to blog about it in the near future.