View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Ten Books (plus a few)

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
I thank Antiquarian for posting this earlier.

1. What is one book that changed your life: "Bored of the Rings" showed me that great literature can be hidden in something that looks silly.

2. What is one book that you’ve read more than once: "Lord of.Light" by Roger Zelazny and "The Stones of Nomuru" by L. Sprague de Camp are two that I can read and enjoy every year. I feel compelled to reread The Ship That Sailed the Time Stream fairly often, but it was the best American novel of the 20th century.

3. What is one book you’d want on a desert island: the old Boy Scout Manual

4. What is one book that made you laugh: There are many, but the best probably is "The Aluminum Man" by G. C. Edmondson.

5. What is one book that made you cry: Many have, but none come to mind.

6. What is one book that you wish you had written: Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

7. What is one book that you wish had never been written: "Das Kapital" has made the world worse, and it was based on obsolete data that made most of the conclusions false. If you start from a false premise, you will get false conclusions. Another would be The Order of Things ("Les Mots et les Choses").

8. What is one book you’re currently reading: A Plague on All Our Houses, a cautionary tale of our time by myself.

9. What is one book that you’ve been meaning to read: Introduction to Logic by Irving Copi

10. What is one book that you recommend to almost everyone: An encyclopedia, then Copi's Introduction to Logic

Updated 10-09-2010 at 03:20 PM by PeterL (typo)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I never hear of Irving Copi. I'll have to look him up. Oh I've been meaning to Read Robinson Crusoe for the longest time. Will I ever get to it????
    Copi's book is a common introduction to Logic. There's nothing special about it, but it's easy to work with.
    hey, I've got that Copi book on my bookshelf right now (I had to double check the name). It was given to me by a friend, who taught philosophy at the college here. Sadly, I have yet to give it more than a half-hearted browsal (logic's not my thing), but maybe over this summer I'll spend some more time with it. Thanks for the reminder.