View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Eternal souls?

by , 05-30-2020 at 02:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Over the decades I have had various thoughts about the concept of the eternal soul. I like the idea, and I find it horrible that I might someday become nothing. On the other hand, the ideas of Heaven and Hell are downright silly. The ideas expressed in “Thanatopsis”. By William Cullen Bryant seem to be reasonable and logical. My personal preference was for the ancient Indo-European concept of reincarnation after 49 days in the Underworld.

The matter of reincarnation seemed very ...

Updated 05-31-2020 at 05:06 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Living in the Past

by , 05-21-2020 at 08:07 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Livng in the Past

There are two ways to live in the past Some people live in the past for personal or philosophical reasons, but everyone lives in the past because of the time lag in perception.

We do not perceive sensations from our extremities until something around 0.20 seconds have passed; it depends on where and how large the person is, but it is written that nerve impulses travel at about 180 feet per second. That's a lot slower than electricity through ...
  3. On Hiding Faces

by , 05-06-2020 at 09:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Everything tells a story about itself. The story I was thinking about was stereotypes, but there's more to it than the traditional discussion, because humans announce themselves with their faces. People looked like what they are. That means that people who look like idiots almost certainly are idiots, and people who pleasant and friendly almost certainly are pleasant and friendly, regardless of other factors. But people who try to convince you that they are your friends but look like they intend ...

Updated 05-07-2020 at 06:51 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized