Blog Comments

Thank you so much for this information and the website link. I have always loved reading his poetry after first encountering 'They flee from me' some long time ago. And now, online, and with that site's beautiful backdrop , I can read so many more.
    Glad you're having a good time. Yes, Big Ben is a bell, that often confuses people. The bell tower is attached to the Houses of Westminster (or Parliament if you prefer). Nice pictures.
    Very good, very amusing, I have been wondering how you have got on.
    I commented there. Are you calling yourself Katherine there? I didn't want to use your real name in my comment. Hey I did get your postcard. Thank you.
    Well, the food looks good to me...delicious! I would love tea there, also...such yummy desserts! I want the clotted cream, too. Who cares about calories or arteries when on vacation! I laughed so at the apple still life's...really creative and funny on top of Stonehenge...good job! I am pining now to go to England and see the great things you are seeing and experience the food; just refrain from the two sauces...eeek... Keep the photos coming. I think you look gorgeous in all of them; loved the one lazing around on the shore of the lake...lovely. Happy touring, Petrarch...and thanks so for the post card...you are so thoughtful and sweet....I loved it!
    Updated 10-16-2009 at 05:41 PM by Janine
    love some of your pics Petra!
    The food looks gorgeous, dahling, good enough to eat, anyway! Really, I must have some of that clotted cream before I die!
    The apple pics-adorable and funny, too.

Oxford and it's library-a little piece of heaven. You are so lucky! Keep having fun, and keep sharing it with us.
    Looks like a great, yummy time.
    Virg.--Glad you liked the culinary tour. Thanks for the compliment about the champagne shot. I imagine holding a glass of champagne helps improve anyone's appearance. No, it hasn't been too cold here, but it was very windy and a bit brisk at Stonehenge, so I had my coat on (just my light fall raincoat, not my winter one). Most of the time it's been absolutely lovely and fairly sunny weather here, though. Later in the same day as the Stonehenge picture was taken I was enjoying a the gentle little breezes near the river in Salisbury:
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...nardoD/173.jpg

FifthElement--Yes, the cream teas have been keeping body and soul together. I skipped lunch on the days I had the cream teas and have been eating light dinners, so I may have only gained about 100 pounds from each one. As for HP sauce, yes I did try it with sausage and found it decent but a bit more tart and vinegary than I like. Still, if I encounter anything truly inedible I can certainly see it would help!

Mortal--Glad the forced perspective efforts had their intended humorous effect.

Prendrelemik--And who wouldn't feel happy and at home having such a sumptuous and delicious experience? Cannot commend their high tea highly enough.
    You look so at home having tea at the Dorchester.
    The apple thing was funny.
    Nice pictures Petrarch, I'm glad you're not going to starve. Well, certainly not if you're eating cream teas you won't
    Ah, you made it to Stonehenge. It's a lovely place.
    The question is, have you tried HP sauce yet?
    How cool!! Loved the culinary tour. The outdoor pictures are great. Very charming. That picture of you with the apple, you seemed dressed for cold weather, colder than i would think for September. Is it cold out? And may I say that you look gorgeous in that picture with the champagne glass.
    You can read more about the story here:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle5132796.ece

"The child" in question here is a 14 year-old teenager.

"If it were me I wouldn't care if it had two heads, but it's my little girl we are talking about."

Shalot> Is it "hijab" you are talking about?
    I always associate turbans with the Middle East rather than Asian countries. I had a class with a girl from Afghanistan and she remarked once that some child on the playground called her Chinese b/c she was wearing what I thought was called a burkha...I'm actually not sure of the correct term for what she wore. If I google images of burkha the pics that come up are not what she had on. Her whole face was not covered. Anyhoo, I never did understand how people could mix it up like that, but I suppose it happens. I don't know if the girl was offended by the remark, but I just thought it was a mistake a child would make at the time. About Miss Mason, I think that's a little stupid...the whole firing bit. She was trying to find transportation for her daughter and we all know how children are...if her child is freaked out by turbans than the whole situation would have been problematic for everyone. Children are scared by some adults - they could be wearing turbans or have beards...When I was little dark mustaches were frightening to me. Why did they fire her for that? She should turn around and sue them for discriminating against her for having children b/c essentially they're punishing her for having children and having to arrange for their transporation from the office. That's what I would do.
    Racism at the liberal BBC? Oh my. Now I agree that was not a nice thing for that person to do, but don't you think that being fired is a little harsh for just a comment like that? I think a reprimand would have been in order.
    Something about racism:

'Racism' row BBC host is replaced

A BBC radio presenter has been replaced over allegedly racist comments made during an off-air phone conversation.

Sam Mason, who took over the BBC Radio Bristol weekday afternoon programme six weeks ago, was suspended on Friday.

She was informed by station bosses on Saturday that she would no longer be working for the BBC.

According to The Sun newspaper, Miss Mason allegedly told a Bristol taxi firm "not to send an Asian driver to pick up her daughter".

The paper said Miss Mason, 40, told a cab operator: "A guy with a turban on is going to freak her out."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7721813.stm
    Thanks, Janine. I was being quite facetious about the wacky liberal thing. I consider myself a generally reasonable person, try my best to think through the issues rather than play slave to either party line, and am probably more on the moderate liberal end of things on many issues. I agree that none of us need to apologize for our opinions in this country. Indeed, I would say that all of us have a duty to voice our opinions when they are important to us, since it is in the voices of the many that we can hear what makes this nation great.
    Who says? hahaha...maybe in here....I tend these days to be liberal myself, Petrarch, and I have this friend (mentioning no names) who still seems rather riled up about certain political things; they need to calm down. I just want to drop it at this point. I hope the dust settles soon...and by the way, I did not find anything you wrote wacky at all. It was well thought out and stated. Everyone is entitled to their oppinion. We do have freedom of speech in this country and I am glad of it.
    Actually, I think we're finally winding down, Janine. The ramrod straight conservative and the wacky liberal academic even found something to agree about. I guess this is what happens when two loquacious and opinionated individuals find that they are suddenly able to talk politics without incurring the wrath of the forum elders.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast