View RSS Feed

Virgil

1. Matthew's Drawing

I'm still working on a write up for my 2012 reads. I like to give some sort of assessment and it's taking me a bit.

In the meantime, how about a little anecdote. This happened a few days ago.

Matthew is standing against his children's drawing board with a piece of blank paper clipped in for him to draw on. I'm sitting on the floor beside him. He puts his hand under my chin and holds my head steady.

"Stay still Daddy, I'm going to draw ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, RIP

It is always sad when a particular person that I revere passes. I can't believe I've reached the age where the leaders of the first Gulf War are passing. There were five central figures I remember from that conflict: President George H.W. Bush, Secretary of State James Baker, Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Colin Powell, and Commander in Chief of US Central Command, Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf. As it pertained to the actual war, I think of Schwarzkopf's ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Under the Weather, But Merry Christmas

I mentioned in my birthday interview--shh, I was hoping no one would see it, but here it is http://www.online-literature.com/for...rthday-Virgil!--that I was having a sinus problem. Well, here's more about it.

Two months ago, in early October, I got a sinus infection. Not only were my sinuses dripping, but the pain felt like my head was going to explode. It was excruciating. I went to the doctor and he gave me an antibiotic and in a few days ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. My Ántonia by Willa Cather

I read this American classic novel for the first time earlier this month, and all I want to say is wow! Where has this book been all my life? Actually it was just under my nose. I remembered it being on the recommended reading list in college, but somehow it never made any class reads. I distinctly remember one particular undergrad professor (oh what was his name?—he was one of my favorites) mentioning it, specifically referring to how a death of a major character part way into the work shapes ...

Updated 12-20-2012 at 11:25 PM by Virgil

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Christian of the Year: Police Officer Lawrence DePrimo

I don’t know how many people have seen this, but I want to add to its going internet viral. From the NY Times, the raw facts:

On a cold November night in Times Square, Officer Lawrence DePrimo was working a counterterrorism post when he encountered an older, barefooted homeless man. The officer disappeared for a moment, then returned with a new pair of boots, and knelt to help the man put them on.

The act of kindness would have gone unnoticed and mostly forgotten,
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images