View RSS Feed

Virgil

1. Headline: Fukushima Radiation Proves Less Deadly Than Feared

I know the Fukushima Nuclear Plant failure turned into an argument two years ago when I blogged it: http://www.online-literature.com/for...perventilation.

I have no intention of reliving that argument.

I bring it up to make two points. (1) The media is completely unreliable when it comes to science and technology. Frankly they are unreliable in just about anything they write but I’m not going to push that. But ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Ash Wednesday and Work

I was reminded of Ash Wednesday when I was commenting on Bluebird's blog on Pancake Day, which made me think of this little incident at work, which made me think of work, which reminded me of a blog here (http://www.online-literature.com/for...ration-at-Work) back in October where I mentioned a mechanical failure to one of the key parts of my project at work.

First on Ash Wednesday. Late Tuesday I got a request from one of the directors to attend ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Earl Weaver, RIP

Earl Weaver was the manager of the baseball team the Baltimore Orioles when I was a boy, my favorite sports team. He managed from 1968 to 1982, and then briefly again in 1985 to 1986. My earliest baseball memories probably date to 1970 when I was eight years old, and by 1982, when he really retired, I was 20. I can’t tell you enough how I loved that team over those years. My childhood was wrapped up with them, and Earl Weaver was probably the most important reason why they were great over those ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images
  4. My 2012 Reads

“My Old Man,” a short story by Ernest Hemingway.
    “The Locked Room”, a novella from The New York Trilogy, by Paul Auster.
    The Good Soldier, a novel by Ford Maddox Ford.
    “Moon Lake,” a short story by Eudora Welty.
    The First Book of Samuel, a book from the Old Testament, KJV translation.
    “Sorrow-Acre,” a short story by Isak Dinesen.
    The Quest for Shakespeare, a biography of William Shakespeare by Joseph Pearce.
    “King Lear,” a play by William Shakespeare. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Les Misérables,The Movie

We just saw it this evening, so here’s a review. Don’t read this now if you want to go into the theater to see it without someone else’s opinion.

First off, take my wife’s assessment as probably being closer to your own. A big fan of the stage musical (we first saw it in the early 1990’s), she says she liked the movie but not loved it. On a rating scale that probably translates to a three and a half to four out of five.

My one line assessment: it sucked. Ok, ...

Updated 01-06-2013 at 02:24 AM by Virgil

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast