Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick
    The dotted line my father’s ashplant made,
    On Sandymount Strand,
    Is something else the tide won’t wash away,

Three lines that have stuck with me over the years. The simple, direct imagery opening up a world of thoughts.
    Not sure I understand what Heaney's lines mean out of context but thanks for mentioning that.
    The dotted line my father’s ashplant made,
    On Sandymount Strand,
    Is something else the tide won’t wash away,

Three lines that have stuck with me over the years. The simple, direct imagery opening up a world of thoughts.
    Wonderful poem Helga! Thanks. And thanks to you as well Qimi for commenting.
    Thank you, Virgil. He's another of those poets whose works look simple, but of course, are not. HIs stuff is gritty, deep, and warm. Thank you for digging deep, Seamus Heaney. RIP.
    Updated 09-02-2013 at 01:28 AM by qimissung
    A wonderful poet, and a nice tribute. He wrote this poem about a place in Iceland

Höfn

The three-tongued glacier has begun to melt.
    What will we do, they ask, when boulder-milt
    Comes wallowing across the delta flats

And the miles-deep shag ice makes its move?
    I saw it, ridged and rock-set, from above,
    Undead grey-gristed earth-pelt, aeon-scruff,

And feared its coldness that still seemed enough
    To iceblock the plane window dimmed with breath,
    Deepfreeze the seep of adamantine tilth

And every warm, mouthwatering word of mouth.

you have one guess what the place is called..
    People who truely love their country, should criticise its faults loudly and proudly.
    Yeah, I hear you and Hannah and in another forum that is political and mostly Americans I am quite vocal about what is wrong with my country. I'm very hesitant to do it here for two reasons. (1) This is a literature forum and to some degree should be a refuge from politics and the arguing. (2) This place has a large international presence, and i don't feel it is proper etiquette to rant against one's country in front of people who haven't lived there and have a complete understanding of the traditions, history, and the cultural nuances. It's like talking about one's family's flaws in front of strangers. As the saying goes, it's like airing dirty laundry.
    People who truely love their country, should criticise its faults loudly and proudly.
    I agree in 100% but it is very difficult. For instance, Poles cannot look at Poland in such a way.
    Where is that America? Did it ever exist?
    Yes I know. It's quite different now. It did once. You inspired me to write a parody poem which I called "I Sing of a New America." I thought it would only be four or five lines, which I would post in this reply, but I got carried away and went on for a page and a half. It's too long for this comment box so I'll post it in a new blog. Look for it as my next blog.
    Where is that America? Did it ever exist?
    I hope you all had a lovely 4th! Did you take Matthew to see any fireworks?
    Yes, thank you. It is lovely.
    A lovely tribute, Virgil. Thank you.
    ....Comment deleted by Virgil.

Will you please grow up Cafolini. You're a somewhat intelligent person, but a complete moron.
    Updated 07-05-2013 at 11:42 PM by Virgil (abusive comment)
    No offensive, Virgil!
    Updated 07-06-2013 at 10:22 AM by Buh4Bee
    ...Comment deleted by Virgil.
    Updated 07-05-2013 at 11:41 PM by Virgil (Obnoxious)
    This is a lovely tribute to the day. I always try to reflect on my service in public education during the fireworks, since I have just completed the school year and I am civil servant. This made me think of all the hard working people that came to watch and hopefully remember the meaning and history of the celebration. Thanks for sharing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini
    Modernism started in the Renaissance.
    In a way it did actually. But typically in literature it's usually thought of as post WWI.
    Modernism started in the Renaissance.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini
    "Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else,"

Oh, yes? Whitman did not understand the end of modernism and individual belonging. Even Ruben Dario ended up making fun of his ludicrous stand. And that was in a fascist, Central American country. Whitman had the best going and failed miserably.
    I have do idea what you're talking about Cafolini. All your comments seem to be just outbursts. How could Whitman understand the end of modernism if he preceded modernism? Don't answer. I really don't care. This post was not intended to be a discussion of his poetry. It was to commemorate a holiday.