View RSS Feed

Virgil

1. Memorial for Brandi

I wrote up a little memorial for Brandi, my Yellow Lab, at my blog Ashes, and since I talked about her often and had posted pictures of her here on Lit Net, I'll provide the link, here. There were too many pictures to try to reproduce the blog here. Here's the first paragraph:

As many of you now know, our beloved Yellow Labrador Retriever, Brandi, passed away a number of weeks ago. She had cirrhosis of the liver due to canine hepatitis and lymphoma, a double whammy from which it
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Ashes From Burnt Roses

I was going to post my 2013 reads but instead I’ll just let all of Lit Net in on my personal literature blog and you can get to my reads from there. I started this blog just over a year ago. I had been reading a number of literature blogs around the internet and realized that thoughts on my reads as I go throughout the year might be interesting to some. At a minimum it lets me document what I thought of a work during or soon after I read it, and sharing it with the general public is a way to ...

Updated 01-14-2014 at 11:31 PM by Virgil

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Merry Christmas

This is probably my favorite Christmas Carol, and this is a wonderful rendition by Josh Groban.

The third stanza is not always heard. Groban in this rendition skips the second stanza and goes to the third and then returns to repeat the first. I like it. I think the second stanza is the weaker of the three, with the first, of course, being brilliant. You can read all the lyrics here.

Do read the history ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images
  4. Veni Veni Emmanuel

I haven't been here on Lit Net in a while. I've been busy with a lot of things. I guess the one newsworthy item with me is that we had to put our beloved Yellow Lab, Brandi, to sleep a couple of weeks ago. If you look in the pictures section on Lit Net you'll see I posted pictures of her. I may even have them in my photo album, I can't remember. Poor Brandi had canine hepatitis (which had destroyed her liver) and lymphoma, a double whammy. It was impossible to treat both and we waited until ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Warren Zevon Appreciation

I was so surprised today when I saw over at First Things an article on the rock composer and performer, Warren Zevon. First Things is a rather high brow religious magazine (mostly traditional Christian and to my perception with a Roman Catholic emphasis, though dedicated to ecumenism) and their internet site allows access to some of their articles. I love Warren Zevon’s music, but I found it odd that they would have an article on him.

Some bare facts about Zevon. You can also ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast