View RSS Feed

Virgil

1. Dubya and Reading

This is a fascinating read from The American Scholar: http://theamericanscholar.org/dubya-and-me/. It's about the relationship between President GW Bush and this journalist Walt Harrington that started back in 1986 and matured through W's presidency and now beyond. The piece is called "Dubya and Me." It's long but captivating, especially if you are a fan of President Bush #43. I am a big fan, despite some of my differences. This piece shows a little known side to the president. It ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Engineering Ground Zero

Earlier this week I caught this PBS Nova episode: "Engineering Ground Zero." For those not familiar, Nova is the science documentary show on our Public Broadcasting. Of course being an engineer, the title got my attention, and while the show did not provide the technical answers to the questions that came to my mind (I really wanted to know the structural loads in the frame of the Liberty Tower, those joint designs where the beams change direction, and the steel strength properties), ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. September 11th Again

I don’t know how much I can say without breaking down. The emotions of that day are overwhelming. Other than a family member passing, I don’t think I’ve experienced emotions as turbulent as those of that day and the weeks after. Below is a poem I wrote a few years ago remembering back. I haven’t looked at it for a while now. It might be the best poem I ever wrote. I posted it here on Lit Net once. I'll re-post it in commemoration. If I can gather myself to write about that day as I experienced ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Worse Song of the 90's

Ok, this is cultural inanity. If it wasn’t so pathetically stupid, it would be funny. Rolling Stone Magazine voted on the worse songs of the 90′s (http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/rs_...gs-of-the-90s/) and I have to say I can’t disagree with the top, uhm, I’m mean bottom. “Barbie Girl” by Aqua (who is that?) had the dishonor of being the worse. I had never heard of it before. If your stomach allows, have a little whirl with it. It’s bad. It’s really ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Hurricane Irene Aftermath

As hurricanes go, I don’t think it was so terrible, at least in general. I don’t know what the winds got up to, but around here I didn’t see anything unusual. I saw some of the trees sway, but I’ve seen worse. Suffice it to say, no windows shattered. The rain was heavy. I don’t know how much we got. I took the dog out to relieve herself in the morning, or at least I tried to. It was raining very heavy; you could feel the barometric pressure squeezing down. I tried to take Brandi for a walk ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized