View RSS Feed

Virgil

1. Another Movie Version of The Great Gatsby

I guess I understand why the movie industry keeps trying to put The Great Gatsby on screen. It's a great story, great memorable characters, and peaks to high drama. It's colorful, a story of bright pastels, has wonderful, direct conflict, and is deep in back story, so even though it's roughly only 200 pages of a novel, its width is years. F. Scott Fitzgerald condenses the story perfectly, a bright jewel.

So it's perfect for the movies? No matter how often they've tried - six, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Where The Wild Things Are

Last week the childrenís book author, Maurice Sendak, passed away. May he rest in peace. The New York Times had a fine obituary.

Maurice Sendak, widely considered the most important childrenís book artist of the 20th century, who wrenched the picture book out of the safe, sanitized world of the nursery and plunged it into the dark, terrifying and hauntingly beautiful recesses of the human psyche, died on Tuesday in Danbury, Conn. He was 83.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/bo...pagewanted=all ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Brandiís Crises

Well, we just had a two week hellish experience. It had to do with Brandi, our eight year old Labrador Retriever.

It started on Saturday the 14th, a typical Saturday morning where I take Brandi out for a early morning walk and usually end up over at my motherís house about a half mile away. It wasnít completely typical since I didnít take her to an open field beforehand where I like to toss a tennis ball and she loves to fetch it. For a retriever fetching is a passion, and her ...

Updated 04-29-2012 at 10:49 PM by Virgil

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. King Lear on PBS Website

For those interested, PBS (Public Broadcasting System) has posted the entire video of the King Lear performance staring Sir Ian McKellan. It is well worth seeing for any Shakespearean aficionado.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episod...-the-play/487/

As it turned out I had started reading Lear just a few days before stumbling across the video. Very fortuitous. So I read along while watching, one Act each night during this holy week. It was quite ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Hacked!

I've been hacked. At least I think this is being hacked. My Yahoo contacts were sent some kooky message with a link to where to "earn easy money." Is someone getting into my Yahoo account considered being hacked? Do they have access to the rest of my computer?

What should I do? Should I contact my internet service provider or Yahoo? I don't even know how to contact Yahoo. I'd hate to cancel my yahoo account since many people have that address.

I'm at ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized