Blog Comments

Yeah, we have a problem with too many deer here. The problem is they hang out within town limits, where hunting is forbidden. The amount of car accidents they cause is astounding for animals whose sight is legendary, that is, when you are hunting them. The slightest move and they spot you and make obscene gestures at you with their tail while hauling but outa there! The can't seem to see an oncoming car, however, and jump right out in front of the vehicle.
    Yes, Virgil, you are right. Have you ever had a deer run into your car? It will wcare the CRAP out of you! We also have a problem with them getting into the garden. Deer love okra. you know what? I do too!
    I thought a bug buck was something novel slang from down south.

With the anount of deer rampant in the densely populated northeast, hunting is a necessity, whether for food or sport. There are so many accidents with cars that you would be shocked how many. In New Jersey they let you legally take about nine or ten deer in a season if you count all the different permits (shotgun, bow, muzzle loader, whatever...). Obviously they are great and successful breeders, and given there are no more predators the deer population is unstopable. A work aquaitance had one smash through his windshield and nearly kill his wife who was in the passanger seat. There are deer carcasses along the highway. Hunting is a necessity. Otherwise bring back wolves. I don't hunt by the way if anyone was wondering.
    Updated 11-13-2009 at 05:40 PM by Virgil
    a bug buck is a typo. I should have said big buck

I don't anyone who hunts to senselessly kill another creature for bragging rights. Bragging rights are a bonus. I do know many people who hunt because they enjoy it, but the eat what the kill. Or, they may give the meat to someone else. We eat more deer than beef.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    Thank you, one and all! And Muse, the danged crows even disturb those of us who hunt for venison and could care less about a trophy, namely me. The only deer I ever managed to get was a doe, and I spent only 45 minutes from the time I left my car to the time I checked my deer with the game warden and go back home!
    Hunting for sustainability, that is primarily for the sake of food, is for me quite a different thing than senselessly killing another creature just for bragging rights, and having a head to mount upon the wall.
    What's a "bug buck," Mother-Hubbard? I'm a city boy.
    very good, Pen. this explains why my husband is not a great hunger. The only prep work he does is gets the permit. He's taking the kids tomorrow, or one lucky kid anyway. I'm hoping he's lucky. But I'm not holding my breath. A couple of years ago we had a nice bug buck in the back yard just running back and forth. I about fell all over myself trying to get a hold of a gun and all I could find was a pistol. I figured it would have to do and I'm a good shot and it wasn't very far off, maybe 15 yrads. But by the time I got back to the door he was heading over the back hill. I have a rifle hooked above the door to the laundry room now. but, suprise, he hasn't been back.
    Thank you, one and all! And Muse, the danged crows even disturb those of us who hunt for venison and could care less about a trophy, namely me. The only deer I ever managed to get was a doe, and I spent only 45 minutes from the time I left my car to the time I checked my deer with the game warden and go back home!
    You've been one of my favorite people on the LitNet since I first signed on!
    Another good one! Loved the refrain "And
    do you mind if I reel in this fish" and thanks for the plug for Al Jaffe, which you've probably guessed, was one of my
    heroes when I was growing up, way, way, way back in the day.
    This was great fun to read! I loved the
    colloquial diction, the "local" quality to the subject matter, and the Cheney joke.
    I want to read some more o' your blogs
    right now.
    There was a quote that a guy at work uttered after a similar story from a hunter about a buck in heat during hunting season. It has always stuck with me. He said, "It's amazing what a buck will do for a piece of a$$." There's something to be said for human bucks as well.

Nice story Pen.
    Despite not being a trophy hunter, this was a magnificent entry Pendragon! The only year I applied for a deer tag, I missed out on a beautiful 6 point muley, but the little 2 point I took tasted like cornfed whitetail. I'm rather glad, because the last trophy animal I ate tasted like a boot.
    Greatly enjoyed this entry! And pah to the crows!
    I say good for the crows. I detest sport hunting. It is vile to gain in pleasure out of taking the life of another living creature just to walk home with a "trophy"
    This entry was delightful. I have a co-worker who is very into hunting each deer season. He would be delighted by this.
    Pen, just finally got around to checking this out--I have been very remiss on blogs lately. Hang in there--God has plans for the two of us and the joy is that is rarely what we think they will be but infinitely better.
    ... wow... wow is all I can say. I have been in a similar situation myself, and it is enraging. Nothing can make a day go downhill more than public humiliation, especially after a bad day already! Sorry to hear that, Pen!
    It's amazing how ridiculous people can be, it's quite apalling.

I hope that your next day went better
    Pen, I know it was a hard day, but from your posts and blogs and writings here on lit net, you seem to be improving as best as I can tell. You are in my prayers, if that makes you feel any better.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast