Blog Comments

Sir Pen: I've been reading a lot of your poems here and there, but this one really takes the cake...This exploration of fear is excellent. I'm a big fan of Poe, so the theme of danse macabre when the speaker looks out the door is really exciting...Love the poem!
    Countess, just look up “Molly Maguires.” But try to find the criminal record telling of the story, it is best. I first heard of it on Haunted America, and saw the handprint myself. Easy to fake maybe, but who knows?

Yeah, I don't think I could run out of material. The Whately house in San Diego, said to be the most haunted; Borely Rectory in England; Edinburgh's Mary King's Close where plague victims died underground; The Smugglers Tunnels of Portland, Oregon; The Winchester House in San Jaun, More graveyards in Orleans; Resurrection Mary on Route 66 in Chicago; The Catacombs in several cities in Europe; The Lizzy Borden B&B. Any you see you want a poem on, PM me. If I do run out of real hauntings, I can always make them up...
    Pen, you have fans that just don't comment je suppose. Myself, I like the 'haunted poetry', don't worry about that! This particular entry was very sad and very well told in the traditional Pen style that we all someday can only hope to attain ... (now go to my blog and listen to some Chopin, kay?)
    Hey Pen, I'm sorry, was a busy day yesterday, and I didn't get to comment. I like this one, it hearkens of the truth. I wonder how much research did you do for this? I am a little worn out on the hauntings, but still love them. Maybe you could mix it up with hauntings and your other poetry... I think it might make all of them seem fresh. Anyways, thats my two bits. I like the end of this, it reminds me of the Devils Footprint in Munich I believe. Anyways, keep it up. B
    I'm NOT! I just didn't around to it till today! Keep them up - I love haunted poems. This poem has an eerieness about it while your others were spooky - the supernatural hand print forever enlodged in stone - like the ending to a Lovecraft short story. Thanks for sharing it! What was the name of the case, btw? I want to look it up on Wiki..
    Humm. I would have figured this one would have gathered comment. People must be burnt out on my haunted poems!
    Well, I have deliberately avoided reading your spooky stuff (I don‘t even watch spooky commercials for shows like Medium or X-Files), but this was compelling. I didn’t get all the way through it, though. Sorry Pen. I’m a ‘fraidy cat
    Whoa, it does make one wonder. Very interesting.
    OOH, spooky! I liked it very much, Pen.
    Reminds me a greta deal of building in the Rochester NY area and surounding communities.
    Interesting comparsion between myth and history, between appearances and fact. The house sure does LOOK spooky. It gets a 100 if looks make a house haunted and terrifying.
    Ooooh, I love the picture accompanying the poem. It looks as spooky as you write. Nice. B
    Very cool poem ... I like this haunting theme a lot!
    Pen, I recognised that you wrote exactly the story I had asked for. Your comment only confirms my suspicions. Excellently done. The comment I made was in reference to "Tell em LARGE MARGE sent ya!" Its from the first Pee Wee Herman movie. You did it so very well though. B
    I enjoyed this one Pen. You write so descriptively it is a pleasure to read. B
    My thanks, B. You said something about wanting one to end with the ghost screeching about who it was. Of all the legends I know, Blackbeard seemed to be the most likely to do this. I had wrote this years ago, but it was only a paragraph, no poetry to the lines. I consider it still rough in places, but you cannot just jump in without the background.

In any situation involving a haunting, the question is why are you or the person who is the object of the poem there to begin with? So you need background. Even if I wrote on the nearby Old Stone Tavern, why would I suddenly decide to go there after living here in this area for 42 years? Not because I know it to be haunted. I've always known. There would have to be some entrance lines, maybe I hit the old folks dog or something.

Pen
    Excellent story Pen. My favorite of the hauntings you've recently blogged. Cheers, B
    Awh! This is so touching - reminded me of The Feral Prince, and many memories as a child. Lovely story in poetic words. My heart hurts with bittersweet nostalgia. Thanks.
    Pen, I must admit...I'm waiting for the ghost story that ends with..."Tell 'em, tell 'em "Large Marge" sent ya." Shivers! I like this one, but the others were a little more my style. Keep it up. B
    Woooo, this one could be set to music and sung as a ballad. Scary story, loved it a LOT! Pen, you are awesome!