Blog Comments

This was a humor piece, or meant to be, although it actually happened more or less as told. I guess you could say this was something I had wanted to get off my chest for years, and just now got around to doing so. Venting with a touch of humor never hurt a soul. Bad decisions did come back to haunt this man eventually, but I take no pleasure in seeing others fall no matter what they may have done. I cracked like an egg under the pressure, but something would have triggered the illness I suffer from sooner or later as it is genetic and the family has a long history of breakdowns and disabilities. I enjoy my writing and do what I can and what I can't can't be helped.

Pen
    Wow, Pen ... I just can't believe what happened to you. But they probably wound up having to hire more than a couple of people to replace you, is my guess. Your treatment was absolute B.S., that 'big boss' didn't know which side of the toast was buttered, which makes me wonder about any other decisions that were left to him. Scary. Very scary. You take care -- they never deserved you from the get go. -- K♥z
    What dicks! I feel for ya. I once had a boss at a florist. He was like, "Pete, your the best delivery guy I've got." I loved the job. You get to drive around and take flowers to ladies. It wasn't good paying, but it helped make ends meet. Then one day a screwdriver turns up missing. I get the blame as he had fired the other drivers or they had quit, and I was the only one there running all of his deliveries. He insulted me, yelled at me, and I told him I would work through Christmas, as he had many churches to deliver flowers to for the holiday, but that I quit. The screwdriver turns up, but he was too proud to apologise. I know that people with a little power get lazy and cruel. I'm sorry for the pain they caused you, but you are way better than that job my friend. I hope your days are going well. Peace amigo, B
    What a horrible situation. I would have been furious, and I imagine that you were as well. I hope it all worked out for the better, but you've made me rethink my own resume that I've been submitting. Take Care, Meg
    It's fascinating the rationales that inpersonal companies use to justify their decisions. Their time will come. The best places to be are the management types that put the quality of the worker ahead of the mission statement and lo they end up with a healthier company.
    Pen, sorry to hear abt the paycut. Unfortunately companies these days expect you to work for less but do the jobs of several people. Maybe you can find a job elsewhere that will pay you for what you are worth.
    Haha. Just another example of the low expectations society has of young people today.
    How fun! I believe I have been awakened by a white rabbit, but for very logical reasons.
    At my school, we are expected to have our shirts tucked in. We wear solid colors. We are expected to wear a belt every day, and have no holes, patches rips etc. on our clothing. Skirts must lay below the knee. Bedroom slippers, hats, bandanas, heels that exceed 2", and bare feet are strictly prohibited. We are put on contract for three tardies. If we are tardy again, we may be expelled. They have very high expectations of us. We are expected to also read the Student Code of Conduct every year.
    Ha ha, this was priceless!
    Actually, Sandy, I had the beginnings of one in the sixth grade! Both of my sons had moustaches in school, my older son a full beard. I used the word "trimmed" because we had several guys with unkempt beards, one who received the nickname, "The Rock and Roll Troll" from his appearance; he still looks pretty much the same today...
    Mustache trimmed? Pen, you must have been the "hottie" if you had a mustache while in high school.
    In my school, girls didn't get to wear pants until 1972 and then they could only be a part of a pant suite. Skirts were measured by the wearer getting on their knees and the ruler being held to the floor...one inch was the limit. Boys had to have their hair short enough so that it didn't touch their collar and shirts tucked in.
    It wasn't so bad because we didn't know that any other school was different. When I transferred in 11th grade, the school's dress code was that there had to be something between the floor and the bottom of the foot....freedom!
    My usual school outfit was a pheasant blouse, a pair of cut off jeans, and sandals. (Didn't lean much after the transfer.)
    you crack me up.
    Cullop's Old Stone House Tavern was built and maintained in the late 1700's and early 1800's by Frederick Cullop along the Wilderness Road as an inn for travelers. These Cullops are my ancestors and when searching for information about the family, I found more information and a picture of this old inn.

I read in other publications that Frederick shot and killed himself inside the old tavern in 1826. He was originally buried out back and was said to have frequented the house ever since. I believe I read that his body was later moved from the site. However I'm sure he still visits frequently!
    Just a thought, Pen, but maybe more people would vote if they could do so anonymously, as in a secret ballot.

Did you look up Ivor Richards by the way? Somebody should post something on the net about his experiment
    conducted way back in 1929, but with results still true today, maybe even more so!

Also, Pen, I somehow got the idea that some of your pieces have been actually published! Few of us can make that claim, believe me. And you are one of the --if not THE-- most prolific writers on the Lit Net.

Once again, be proud!

Sincerely,
    Auntie
    Pen--I think some people on the forums just aren't that interested in the contests, and I think others are very busy in their real life and use their internet time to participate on other threads. I generally try to vote in the contests, but I know I haven't done so on occasion because I'm simply busy and I either don't have time for thoughtful forum participation at all or am using my forum time to respond to a discussion I'm interested in or something. Try not to take it personally when people don't vote. Incidently, I enjoyed your poem as I posted on the thread you started on it.
    Pen, I read the poems in the contest. Let me just say that your poem was not the worst there. Actually, there was no worst poem. My only issue with the entries is their tendency to ring of sameness. Not all. Aunty's poem had something that gave it the edge, I had it as the clear winner (no offense to brother Virge, et al, who put up a nice work too) Another standout for me but not without defect (way too long) was the one that used dates to chronicle kinds of love and disappointment. What I most liked about your poem, Pen, was how you so subtly developed the idea of love around the word, 'link,' which is repeated at least ten times---and for a poem of 13 lines or so, that's pushing it. But you more than pulled it off, and what I came away with was a sweet and simple song. Isn't love supposed to be that way?
    The things I write are like my children. Sometimes that birthing process is very painful but I still love what comes out of me, not in an egotistical sense but as an encouraging parent. I guess I don't feel like I'm voting for MYSELF. Maybe my values are all mixed up but I don't think it's wrong.
    Well, I put a comment in this area of the Forums: http://www.online-literature.com/for...577335&t=32653 and I guess I haven't anything different to add. I am just wondering, if more people would be inclined to vote in these contests if the votes were strictly confidential...? Or are we a bit lazy? I have been bad in the not voting thing -- I am trying to improve though. Anyhow, that was my two pennies worth. Cheers Pen.
    Guilty on all counts of not reading and voting. Poetry is a bit of mystery to me. When it comes to reading I know what I like but also defer to the superior writing of others. For example I just don't like Hemingway but I would never deny his talent. Just not my cup of tea. Way back in the day about a year ago I was trying to read the short stories and could not access Robinhood3000's story for one reason or another and he graciously made it availabe to me (after the contest was over). After that I sort of stayed off the contests. No real reason--I hop and skip around the forum as boredom or curiousity takes over. I have been way way behind on keeping up with Meg's story as I've been noted my opinions of it as I go along but I like to be in a genial mood when I read here and between the wife getting the lion's share of time here and my mid-shift schedule you'll note most of my posting times are in the wee hours.

He's rambling again. Why yes I am. I guesswhat I am trying to say is if I vote it's because I liked the entry say just a smidge better then the other but I would not qualify that vote as any form of negation of the talents of the individual writers.