View RSS Feed

Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

description

1. Frosted Death

by , 01-15-2008 at 10:24 AM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    Frosted Death

The wind that swirls around me is cold,
    freezing the very blood within my veins.
    The ashes of my small fire send up faint vapors
    of smoke into the night sky. It is very dark.
    The faintest sliver of a moon tries vainly to illuminate the night.
    Somewhere off in the distance, I just heard a faint howl.

There’s something touching about that howl,
    a sort of awful longing in each cold,
    frantic note. I shiver involuntarily. ...
    Categories
  2. Midnight Philosophy: A Sestina

by , 01-13-2008 at 12:36 PM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    Midnight Philosophy

It’s silent and lonely here in the dark,
    yet my pulses pound with unreasoning fear.
    I know that here, in this room, there’s nothing to hurt
    me. A shadow is, after all, only a shadow!
    Yet I wonder: how can one separate the unknown
    from that which is unmistakably real?

But is there any substance to what we call “real”,
    a line of demarcation between “light” and “dark?”
    Unexplored territory is the only ...
    Categories
  3. Cell 17

by , 01-10-2008 at 01:34 PM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    This is a very famous case, so famous that it actually appears in Authur Conan Doyle's 'The Valley of Fear' highly fictionalized. The Pinkerton Agent McPherson (disguised as McKenna), had to admit in court that he knew some of the murders were going to happen and he let them happen, which should have blown the case, and would anywhere else. Jack Kehoe received a posthumous exoneration. But Alex Campbell's hand print is still awaits justice for an innocent man hanged unfairly for a crime he did not ...
    Categories
  4. The Dark Room

by , 01-09-2008 at 10:37 AM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    A personal experience. I will vouch for the truth of this. The building sits on old Main Street in Chilhowie, VA. We called our church "The Chilhowie Gospel Chapel." The building had stood empty for about 9 months when we took it. In the upstairs you never actually 'saw' anything, but you felt a whole lot. My Pastor who did not believe in ghosts became a believer when he and his brother's installed our air-conditioner, which drained into the storage room. He said he wouldn't go back in ...
    Categories
  5. The Eight-Sided House

by , 01-08-2008 at 09:15 PM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    Hey, as long a we are going haunting, we'll hit the old hometown. You can find this place on the internet. I've driven by it when you couldn't see it for the weeds. Unlike Cullop's Old Stone Tavern here in Atkins, they intend to restore this one. Oh, in case you are confused, I grew up in Marion, and wife and I graduated there. Kids went or go to school there. I moved from Marion to Atkins without moving. They rezoned the towns. Now this is Atkins instead of Rt. 4 Marion. Easier for the 911 addresses. ...
    Categories