View RSS Feed

Paulclem

1. Eh Viva Bridlington!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7aPp-4z-uw

Bridlington – or Brid as we referred to it – was the distant Mecca, the Shangri-La of our childhood – along with Whitby, Scarborough and Cleethorpes - on Yorkshire’s East coast. It seemed a long way from industrial Wakefield in the middle of the West Yorkshire coalfields, though it can’t have been more than 80 miles away.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mary Magdelene Church is 900 years old this year.

As I was cycling back to the office today from my teaching venue, I remembered that my wife had mentioned something about the church being 900 years old this year. It’s only up the road from where I teach, so I decided to take a short detour and have a look.

(As you can see, I still have my England flag proudly upon my bike. I think I'll keep it on until the next European ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Manga, Docklands and a puzzle.

A week last Saturday I took the early train with my kids and some of their friends to London for a Manga/ Anime convention at the Excel Building in Docklands. My two are into this Japanese comic/ animation form, and it does look quite interesting, though I have to admit I haven’t really read much.

So we had an uneventful trip down – I was reading and listening to my MP3, and the kids talked amongst themselves and texted each other constantly – as they do. The tube journey took about ...

Updated 06-07-2010 at 07:08 PM by Paulclem

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. A Spring Walk to the Allotment

Two weeks ago on Friday evening, I was riding home on my bike ready for another couple of days of rest when I heard the tell tale shuffle of rubber on metal. Glancing down I noticed that the back wheel, rather than rotating smoothly, was jerking from side to side as it went round. There was no doubt about it: it was buckled.

My second best bike had, the previous year, had the same problem, and, with my third best bike - which I was and still am getting rid of – also buckled – I ...

Updated 05-27-2010 at 07:36 PM by Paulclem

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sent to Coventry

The phrase "sent to Coventry" means that no-one is taling to you at the moment. It is thought that the phrase originated during the English Civil War, in the 1640s, when Royalist soldiers were being held in the city. Apparently they would be allowed to wander through the streets, but found that the residents refused to speak to them.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/s...-coventry.html

The Royalist soldiers were held in St John's church which is in the ...
    Tags: history, language
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast