Blog Comments

rocking all over the allotment. I'd have loved to have seen that.
    Interesting blog, Paul. I recently had a clear out and dontated all my old clothes that don't fit anymore and were in good enough condition to be reused. Most of them had been in the wardrobe for ages and I'd either not noticed them or they were no longer practical (for example 'going out' wear - I don't do that anymore!) or I'd not yet accepted I was never going to slim back down to fit into them. It was good to clear out.

I wouldn't say that, despite there being a larger range of women's clothing in charity shops, that they are any more kitted out for younger women. Either it's 'out of fashion' wear, or a similar situation to the men's clothing example - some dead woman's wardrobe (they just tend to be bigger than men's!). I agree with Comedian's comments though about childrenswear. Charity shops are really good for that.

That being said, my husband has a summer and winter wardrobe that each consist of about 5 articles of clothing and he wears them year in year out until he has to chuck them in the bin. I have slightly more range than that
    Great story. So it seems "Ivy League Estates" is coming along nicely. Alice Cooper huh? You would certainly raise a few eyebrows screaming: "I've got a baby's brain and an old man's heart..."
    I have to admit that I did occasionally play the air guitar with whatever tool I was holding at the time, (gardening tool I assure you).
    Good entry.
    Thanks Comedian. I take our books back to the charity shops/ Goodwill stores, as my clothes are unfit when I've done with them.

You're right about the kid's clothes. We've had lots in the past, and they're usually in good condition because the kids grow so quick.
    Enjoyed this post -- to address some of your questions/points. I do sometimes shop at Goodwill or second hand stores for clothes. It's hard to find the right thing there. But, parents, those stores are goldmines for kids' clothes. They're usually in great shape because the kids just outgrow them so fast. And they're dirt cheap.

As for my own donations, I've donated several button-up shirts and such. . . . my work (professor-type) clothes sometimes just get old without being "unwearable" -- and sometimes I donate tee shirts that I've won or received from participating such-and-such event or fundraiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem
    I remember reading about your closet rant - was it last year? I just don't like having to search through a pile - especially before work - in winter - in the dark - ending up with things on inside out and odd socks.
    Yeah I think it was last year. Eventually I plan on just having a system of shelves within my closet, and only having a small hanging space for certain things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse
    For the most part I tend to be like you. I generally will wear my clothes until they are no longer wearable, and than I will still try to wear them just a little while longer.

But sometimes because I hate dealing with the whole hanging things up in my closet thing, (eventually I plan on abolishing the whole closet system in place of something else) I will get so frustrated trying to hang clothes back up I will just pull a bunch of stuff out of the closet to get rid of it just so it won't be in my way any longer.
    I remember reading about your closet rant - was it last year? I just don't like having to search through a pile - especially before work - in winter - in the dark - ending up with things on inside out and odd socks.
    Thanks Mick!

It seems to be a popular topic. Perhaps I should start a frayed thread.

Orphan - I have more clothes than ever now, but they are still worn on the same principle. They are lasting a bit longer.

Thanks for your comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf
    ^I've actually figured something out that works instead of the hanging things up in the closet thing - just dump your stuff in a pile on the floor of the closet and root through it when you have to! It works, I swear.
    Haha that is close to my current system, which is mountain of clothes in the middle of the bedroom
    ^I've actually figured something out that works instead of the hanging things up in the closet thing - just dump your stuff in a pile on the floor of the closet and root through it when you have to! It works, I swear.
    For the most part I tend to be like you. I generally will wear my clothes until they are no longer wearable, and than I will still try to wear them just a little while longer.

But sometimes because I hate dealing with the whole hanging things up in my closet thing, (eventually I plan on abolishing the whole closet system in place of something else) I will get so frustrated trying to hang clothes back up I will just pull a bunch of stuff out of the closet to get rid of it just so it won't be in my way any longer.
    Jersea: my husband doesn't throw out or give away clothes or anything for that matter either!!!

I on the other hand will donate clothing that doesn't fit anymore.
    My husband doesn't throw out anything either and has a pretty poor sense of fashion, unless he is shopping with a woman (me, his sister or his mother).
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf
    I used to donate chothes to the salvation army as I was growing (well, because I was growing), but I haven't tossed or donated any chothes since I was seventeen. First of all because I don't buy or wear out clothes often, and secondly because when I do wear something out, I'm too heartbroken to throw it away. I spilled some whitish nailpolish on my favorite black jeans in 2006 and I still have them in my closet .

I've never gotten rid of anything that still fits me. I have no idea why women give away so many clothes. They must buy things that they don't like fairly often.
    This may seem shocking coming from a gay man, but I'm the same. I have nothing to give because frankly I wear my clothes until they're falling to pieces. I literally own all of 3 pairs of pants and maybe a dozen or so shirts and a few hoodies. I buy clothes when something rips and I notice that I no longer have enough clothes to make it through a week without doing laundry.
    I used to donate chothes to the salvation army as I was growing (well, because I was growing), but I haven't tossed or donated any chothes since I was seventeen. First of all because I don't buy or wear out clothes often, and secondly because when I do wear something out, I'm too heartbroken to throw it away. I spilled some whitish nailpolish on my favorite black jeans in 2006 and I still have them in my closet .

I've never gotten rid of anything that still fits me. I have no idea why women give away so many clothes. They must buy things that they don't like fairly often.
    Updated 05-01-2011 at 02:40 AM by JuniperWoolf
    You've done it again Paul, turned your gaze onto a piece of ordinary life, and made it fascinating and deep and true and funny.
    Thanks Bluebird and Qimi - I thought so.

Until I got together with my wife, I wasn't really aware that people had summer and winter clothes either beyond an extra jumper or two and a couple of coats. It doesn't get too bad here.

Is it cute to use the word bloke? I was wondering about how to designate the males in the post as I wrote it. I've used chap to designate a fellow I know, old guy for the old chaps, blokes for others like me, and men for us all. I like English for this flexibility.
    It's cute that you use the word "bloke".

But bluebiird is right. I think men just wear their stuff until it's worn out. I know my sons do, anyway.
    There's a pretty simple answer to that. Women tend to have more clothes than men. We have a habit of dressing up more, changing styles, being given clothing by relatives as gifts and thinking "this person does not know me at all". Also charity shops do have some standards when it comes to clothing. I saw a program a couple of years ago on the subject. You wouldn't believe some of the things people "donate" because they can't be bothered to throw things out. So, since guys have a habit of wearing their clothes out more perhaps most male clothing donations are unacceptable for sale.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast