Blog Comments

I just reverted back to the year I spent in Karlsruhe, Germany In 1981-1982. Talk about the narrow streets-wow! Nice story by the way, and good luck in your family endeavors.
    "I have not really increased my linguistic abilities whilst I have been here. The usual thing happens; I go in with a confident phrase - Una cafe con leches por favor - and then they say something back and I revert to clipped English and mime. As a result I left Burger King without a meal and ended up with a tuna salad. I'm a veggie, but not a picky soapbox one, so I just got on with the salad-y bit. "

Burger King in Seville!...what have we done?
    I had to laugh at the native tongue attempt, I recall somewhere in Germany popping in to purchase some post cards and stamps. After practicing the phrase behind a hedge for a few minutes, my delivery was apparently good enough to prompt a response from the clerk in German that left me bewildered.
    Thanks for the tour.
    Thanks Qimi. Got back home a few hours ago without hitches. It's been a great trip and fulfilled its purpose.
    Sounds lovely, all the wandering down narrow streets and taking it all in. Glad you and your son are bonding and enjoying a new culture.
    I though pit bulls were totally banned in the UK?

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

Note, pit bulls are banned even if aggression can't be proved, in case the police give you some guff about "possible mistaken identity".

Did you report the incident to the police? Did the other dog owners report it? Why is it still on the streets? I'd escalate this to MP level, if police & wardens continue to do nothing. Get the RSPCA & local newspaper involved. You're OK with your long arms & big stick, but what about some little girl walking a lap dog?

I wouldn't approach the thug directly and ask him to pay the vets bill, you might end up in jail if it kicks off. Do it via the police and the courts. Why not sue him for damages?
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    Yeah, I once met a Great Dane named Hitler that scared the c*** out of me even as the owner assured me it would not hurt me-probably because they were there and calm. Sheesh, the thing was lying down and it was still at eye level with me.
    I think lots of dogs can be intimidating - the big ones even more. I used to work for a butcher as a kid and he had a black Great Dane that would put his paws on your shoulders. He was friendly, but it was still intimidating.
    He was one fit dog - living at the butchers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    I'm not big on outlawing specific dog breeds. If you mated a pitbull with a mastiff you could have a more vicious dog and it would pass the legal test. In fact, it's a mutt. Plus what would be the rationale for outlawing a pitbull and not outlawing a rottweiler, or a doberman, or a mastiff, or even a German Shepherd? All of those dogs have had a history of aggression, and yet all of them can make good pets. My uncle had a series of Neapolitan mastiffs. Some were friendly and one in particular was not, but all were intimidating.
    I agree - it's rife with problems trying to legislate against a breed. It really comes down to individual dogs,and how they are controlled by their owners. My Jack Russell has given me some painful bites that would be bad for a kiddie. (It's ok - he only bites me).

I was talking to a couple of dog walkers yesterday and one told me that 4 dogs have been attacked recently. It can only end in tears unless this dog is picked up, or the owner does something about it.
    Yeah, I once met a Great Dane named Hitler that scared the c*** out of me even as the owner assured me it would not hurt me-probably because they were there and calm. Sheesh, the thing was lying down and it was still at eye level with me.
    I'm not big on outlawing specific dog breeds. If you mated a pitbull with a mastiff you could have a more vicious dog and it would pass the legal test. In fact, it's a mutt. Plus what would be the rationale for outlawing a pitbull and not outlawing a rottweiler, or a doberman, or a mastiff, or even a German Shepherd? All of those dogs have had a history of aggression, and yet all of them can make good pets. My uncle had a series of Neapolitan mastiffs. Some were friendly and one in particular was not, but all were intimidating.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1n50mn14
    Pitbulls are now illegal in Ontario (where I live) due to their aggressive nature. There is much controversy over this, as it seems that they can be incredibly sweet, loyal dogs when handled properly and well trained/disciplined, but when let to rum amok (as the one who attacked poor Dorje!) they can become quite a problem. Glad to hear your dog is ok!
    Thanks 1n50mn14

We've got a dangerous dogs act from the 1990's to deal with them, but I don't think they extend to a complete ban. We've been advised to report the dog if it is off the lead. Funnily enough I saw one this morning - an 8 month old that had been sold to its owner as a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but it is clearly a pitbull. It's a nice one though, and I did read that most of them are really good - as you said.
    Pitbulls are now illegal in Ontario (where I live) due to their aggressive nature. There is much controversy over this, as it seems that they can be incredibly sweet, loyal dogs when handled properly and well trained/disciplined, but when let to rum amok (as the one who attacked poor Dorje!) they can become quite a problem. Glad to hear your dog is ok!
    I feel sorry for the dog - as you say it is the owner's fault. The local wardens are trying to be helpful. Luckily Dorje's now fine.

I remembered Pussnboots writing about a dog attack last year. It's all too common.
    Good for you Paul. Good luck with the opportunity.
    Wow! What a story. I've had the same fears with the pitbulls in my neighborhood. There have been a few instances with other people's dogs, one I think my wife witnessed. The problem is not so much the pitbull but the owner. Yes pitbulls can be aggressive but they are also very loving dogs. The problem is with the owner. Most owners don't have a clue on raising dogs. Instead of repressing those aggressive instincts bad owners actually accentuate them. I think you were quite right in thinking Dorje would have been killed if he got out of your hands. What an heroic struggle you put up. I'm afraid that pitbull is not fit for human society. They need to do something about him.
    Thanks mate.

It is rewarding. What I found is that you are less curriculum constrained, and you can cover a broader range of topic - particularly in literacy - as a basis for the English you want to teach them. Just imagine - no class control issues. Just people who want to get on. Great fun.
    Good stuff Paul, well done. It has to be a good thing to have more eggs in the basket.

I'm well out of touch with maths but I was naturally better at it than English in the past. I would love to work with adults too, it must be a very rewarding experience.
    Thanks Fifth - it is great to be learning. I really enjoy the courses I go on. It's like a day off.
    Sound like a fantastic opportunity Paul, not to be missed. I hope the course goes well. I'm sure you'll have no trouble with it.

It is great to keep learning new things, isn't it?
    Thanks Qimi. I was talking to "The Kid" yesterday. he's a nice bloke but painfully shy. He's still got the two dogs. They don't get on with mine, so I don't get to speak to him as much as I would.

Thanks virgil, it's nice of you to say so. I think there quite a number of us on here who would be good neighbours.
    It's really my wife who is a good influence on me.
    Paul, I'd certainly would love to have you as my neighbor! I got a dog too. This was a great story. And you and your wife are extremely kind.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast