View RSS Feed

The Education of J.H.S.

In conception, this blog will be a reading and writing journal where I will explore what I think good writing should be and find a style I can work in. I haven't found all the answers yet, but maybe now is the time to start trying.

1. Yale Open Courses

by , 05-15-2012 at 02:32 PM (The Education of J.H.S.)
    I'm not sure if someone has already brought up this amazing resource, but Yale University has posted an entire semester worth of lectures for an Introduction to Theory of Literature Class. It's taught by this very well respected professor there, Paul Fry. I'm on the 4th lesson right now--and I'm so excited and thankful that this resource is available! Looks like this course is going to cover so many of the ideas I'm interested in: Heidegger, New Criticism, Russian Formalism, Deconstructionism, etc. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Essay

by , 05-11-2012 at 06:39 PM (The Education of J.H.S.)
    So, finally, three months after saying I wanted to write an essay, I began yesterday. I think the essay is going to end up being a sort of critique of poetry criticism, and will deal heavily with ideas about Deconstructionism, "Death of the Author", and the decentralization of language, and my experiences of viewing the world after the language's true nature has been uncovered to me. Or at least, the nature I perceive. It's not going to be a work of genius, will not even make sense most ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. I Want To Write An Essay.

by , 02-14-2012 at 11:30 PM (The Education of J.H.S.)
    I don't know why. I've never written one before.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Oh, I Can't Think Of A Title! Is It Really Important?

by , 06-02-2011 at 04:26 PM (The Education of J.H.S.)
    I'm just gonna use bullets, I think.

• I think I like poetry.
    • I try to read poetry. I don't do a very good job. This makes me very sad. When I see what other people come up with when they read poetry, I find myself thinking that their way of viewing poetry is very odd.
    • The other day I went to poetry group. This guy said he didn't like this poem cause it needed a metaphor. This other guy (very intelligent, in my opinion) made him look kind of silly when he proved that the poem
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. On Printing

by , 03-24-2011 at 01:55 PM (The Education of J.H.S.)
    Today I printed out the poems I've finished and am somewhat happy with. The earliest was completed in November or December of 2009, and the latest was completed...well, today! There are fifteen.

Obviously, I wrote more than fifteen poems over this period of time, so where did those poems go?

The ones written for the poetry course I took (the poetry course from hell), I discarded. I've heard that many people keep everything they write, and I do too--unless it's garbage. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast