Blog Comments

Well, things often do go over my head. I had been racing through as much on line Burns poetry as I could, and while I found tons of references to God, it was generic enough to be either Christian or Jewish. So I was amazed that you might be right. But then I saw this from Wikipedia:

He had little regular schooling and got much of his education from his father, who taught his children reading, writing, arithmetic, geography, and history and also wrote for them A Manual Of Christian Belief. He was also taught by John Murdoch (1747-1824), who opened an 'adventure school' in Alloway in 1763 and taught Latin, French, and mathematics to both Robert and his brother Gilbert (1760-1827) from 1765 to 1768 until Murdoch left the parish. After a few years of home education, Burns was sent to Dalrymple Parish School during the summer of 1772 before returning at harvest time to full-time farm labouring until 1773, when he was sent to lodge with Murdoch for three weeks to study grammar, French, and Latin.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns

And this site also mentions his religious framework, while somewhat unconventional though still Christian: http://www25.uua.org/uuhs/duub/artic...bertburns.html.

You had me there for a bit. I would have had to rethink all of Burns' poetry.
    Sorry, I should've put a smiley face there to show I was kidding.
    I was joking! Many Scots people refer to him as Robbie Burns, you know, or, as he is Scotland's most famous poet, 'our Rabbie'. I was making a joke, playing on the sounds, is all. Sorry you didn't get it.
    Robert Burns was Jewish??? Where did you see that? I can almost swear there is a Christian element to some of his poems. I'll have research this.
    See I knew Virgil would know
    Who was it that said "The pen is mighter than the sword"? Keep the pen I say.
    Someone who was knifed in a fight.
    Who was it that said "The pen is mighter than the sword"? Keep the pen I say.
    I always liked your avatar, so now I know what it really is. Very cool ... yeah, I want one too!
    Hehe ahh ok.

I so want a sword cane.
    Dark Muse: I have a Parker pen, not a sword cane. But I would LIKE a sword cane. Of course the police might put me in a little cell if I walked around in public carrying it.

mtpspur:Thanks! I just thought a sword cane would be cool as an avatar.

Virgil: I hope I'll never have to wield my pen.
    Updated 01-09-2009 at 02:16 AM by Silas Thorne
    You have a cane sword?

*scoweers in envy*

I hate you! grrrrrrr

*throw tantrum*

NO FAIR!

I want......I want
    Well I thought it was a walking cane and admit I didn't think sword cane so now I'm impressed.
    Let's hope not.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516