Blog Comments

Not at all. I agree with you. It is detached and melancholy.
    Probably my response is far from the writer's 'intention' or incongruent with the general mood set for the verse?
    Yes, it's a bit too detached and self-indulgent. But glad you felt like commenting on it, Camellia.
    This feels like a detached, refrained, or undetectable melancholy in retrospect...
    Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a line, Nikolai.
    I signed on, clicked on blogs, and saw this. Thanks Silas

"It's so far out, the way out is in" - George harrison
    Congratulations and Good luck I am really impressed
    hi cafolini. Good, but the fourth line has too many syllables in it.
    A thin skinny fellow was tall
    Like a dick always hitting a wall
    But his feet he forgot
    From dancing on an empty lot
    And his peanuts no longer would ball
    It sounds interesting however I don`t know about chinese culture. I cannot compare with you probably but I remember editing my MA in linguistics. Next year I`ll write my BA at English Department (teaching adults probably).
    Oh Hi, thanks for dropping by. About? Well, it's on reasons for the popularity of contemporary Chinese pop songs containing English. Oh, and I'm almost done. See my last blog post.
    What`s your thesis about? Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee
    What are you going to do next?
    Looking for positions, writing articles, attending academic conferences, attending business conferences...and trying to keep some time to write and read poetry.
    What are you going to do next?
    Thanks, Buh4Bee and YesNo. It is really just a beginning for me, but it was a lot of work.
    Congratulations on your doctorate.
    Nice to hear that you are through. Much respect to you for the work you have done.
    Thanks Virgil!
    Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment. Now you've joined the club of pointy headed elites. Only kidding. Best of luck on whatever you intend to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini
    I think that a lot of work is needed in translating Chinese to English. Those manuals that come to occident are often funny. Without telling you how, where or when to do it, the Chinese have a mania for saying simply "don't abuse machine. Needs lubrication."
    The problem is usually that too much use is made of poor translation software from Chinese to English without consulting a native speaker or a Chinese native with excellent English. Plus, to translate technical material, you not only need to be very competent in both languages, you also need to have an understanding of how to express it in the terminology of the field concerned.

The worst translations are usually in places where there are few foreigners, and there there are direct computer translations of whole passages, which are sometimes very funny. Computer translation can be really helpful a little bit at a time, but plug a whole paragraph in and you'll get a whole lot of mixed linguistic gibberish.
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast