View RSS Feed

Life in a small town.

1. New dog update

by , 06-28-2013 at 05:34 PM (Life in a small town.)
    Two steps forwards one step back (or is it the other way round?). That's always the way when training sheep dogs . It is especially true with Meg.

I saw her working about a year ago and she was very impressive, that is why I took her on rather than getting a new pup. We've been practising "get back!" "Lie down!" and "Come here!" (with whistles) in the big shed- trying to make it a game with lots of praise and petting. It's going well, but it's frustrating ...

Updated 06-28-2013 at 05:38 PM by prendrelemick

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The New Dog

by , 06-13-2013 at 04:51 AM (Life in a small town.)
    Training the new dog.

Nelly the sheepdog is now 11 and has a swollen joint on her back leg – she is starting to slow down. This is a good thing in many ways because a steady dog often does its job better than an excitable one – and Nelly has been very excitable over the years (let's be kind and call it enthusiasm). Now at last I can gather sheep with her in a nice controlled manner instead of a mad rush –just like One Man and his Dog on the telly.

It's reminded ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Meeting Mrs P part Three.

by , 07-14-2012 at 10:05 AM (Life in a small town.)
    I admit it, I have relapsed into nostalgia. I know how it came to pass. I was fully aware of the dangers and had been trying to avoid situations that might start me off again. Then last night I was talking to a 15 year old girl and she was so bright and funny, full of life and naïve self-confidence, I started remembering what it was like when I walked among such creatures. Anyway now I'm infected, and I might as well lie back and enjoy it's bitter sweet pleasures. So rose- tinted glasses on, ...

Updated 08-19-2012 at 09:19 AM by prendrelemick

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Meeting Mrs P. part 2

by , 06-22-2012 at 02:29 PM (Life in a small town.)
    She doesn't remember how long she waited behind the door, or why she opened it when she did, but when she stepped out of her room she saw a youth facing her with a Hornsea Pottery mug in his hand, his mouth was hanging open. He was wearing jeans and a wollen jumper that was sagging out of shape due to the 2 gallons of water it had absorbed, he had blue eyes and dark hair that still managed to curl though wet, a puddle was forming beneath him.

Her mother had told her, her smile

Updated 06-22-2012 at 03:24 PM by prendrelemick

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Meeting Mrs P.

by , 06-21-2012 at 12:59 PM (Life in a small town.)
    We are all victims and beneficiaries of fate. Life is a tapestry of if onlys and thank goodnesses, a maze of crossroads and possibilities stretching and widening away back from the point we occupy now. When I look over the chances and co-incidences that have brought me to where I am, the best and most shining example of happy fate was meeting and pursuing unto marriage the young girl who became Mrs P. Everything good in my life now, seems to stem from that.

I was part of a ...

Updated 06-21-2012 at 01:05 PM by prendrelemick

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast