Blog Comments

Excellent Mick.

I've been round the Massey Ferguson plant which was in Coventry. Unfortunately they were bought out by Agco - an American firm who shifted the operation. The site has been flattened and a large housing estate now resides there.

My committee colleague Terry used to work there and talks fondly of factory life - the camaraderie and scams.
    They don't make machines like they used to. And they probably don't make as many great fathers as they used to. Wonderful read Prend. Thanks.
    I raise a glass to our hero's.
    Wonderful reflection, reminds me of my '66 VW Beetle with a 6 volt battery and always having to park at the top of a hill in winter.
    Thanks
    Would love to see a picture of the pup. Sadly my dog is having a relapse of the liver problem she had a year and a half ago. I blogged about it if anyone wants to find it. Vet has a suspicion and we'll have to see if she's right. I guess I'll eventually blog about it.

Sorry to get off topic. Good luck with all three of the dogs.
    hope the new pup will work out well! sorry about Nelly though, my oldie is 12 years old today and he can't take a walk unless free in a soft field, the pavement just kills and his arthritis gets bad.

Sad that Nelly wants to work but can't, my boy doesn't want to work or do anything really so he is living a life of luxury, hope she'll get used to it.
    I don't do your work, but I have sympathy. Breaking in a new batch of kindergarteners every year is just as nerve racking. Good luck with the puppy!
    want to try a female someday, maybe my next dog will be a little lady.

you know, my dog Spock has had arthritis for years now (he was very overweight a few years ago) I tried a lot of unusual methods for him. Chinese incense for arthritis patients and a salt lamp that has proved good and I put oil on his food. Of course these are methods I have just read about but he rarely needs painkillers...
    "Training a new sheepdog is as much about the dog training the handler as the handler training the dog I think."

LOL, I've said that many times myself, especially when someone who doesn't have a clue about raising dogs complains about the lack of training his dog has.

Sorry about Nelly as well. My dog also has arthritis and really should be on something. But she has liver issues that nearly killed her last year (I blogged about it here, if you anyone wants to go back in my blog history) that prevents her from such meds.We give her Glucosimine and that has helped somewhat.

A new pup and free! How can you resist? I couldn't.
    I always get lady dogs - once you've got one, a male dog would cause problems. Nelly is 11, so she doesn't do so bad.
    Do you prefer female dogs? if you get a pup will that be a little lady?

Sorry Nelly is feeling bad, how old is she? my soon to be 12 year old has a shoulder problem and if I take him on walks I need to give him painkillers soon after we get home and even for a day or two. He is of course not a working dog so it's not as bad as your girl must be.
    Great! She's going to work out.
    There is a school of thought that shooting a dog that can no longer work is a kindness. This is complete rubbish of course, a retired sheepdog can have a perfectly happy life, either pottering round the farm or in a new home.
    A small victory at least! I just love working dogs that are treated so well, farmers on the ice are very harsh when it comes to dogs, often not always. My icelandic sheepdog was once offered a life on a farm and it was tempting until I found out they never go to to a vet and that the old dog on the farm couldn't work anymore was to be shot the minuet my boy came. So I said no and he stays with me.

Sheepdogs are wonderful creatures with good training and good owners, so again I hope for the best with you and Meg.
    I hope so. She sounds adorable. Not what your looking for, I understand, but still.
    I'm sure it is fear/anxiety. I wouldn't say it is sheep chasing exactly, it is more single minded focused running to a set pattern ignoring everything including the sheep.

She only begins to consider me or sheep when she starts to tire a bit.
    Ah crap. I'm sorry to hear that Poor girl.

That is such confusing behaviour. I'd love to run the scenario by the vet I work with, who is a certified behaviourist. What do you think is causing her manic sheep-chasing? Is it fear or anxiety? Or is it more obsessive-compulsive?

Glad you've still got Nelly to keep things in order!
    She also didn't attack the sheep. I hear that a dog that goes wrong may do that. Best to you and the dog.
    Wish you luck with the training.
    Perhaps a picture of Meg some time soon?
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully it's not too bad and she'll get back on track
    I agree with Virgil, it all seems so interesting. I'm sure Meg will be great, she obviously has a trainer who wants the best for her. Keep us updated!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast