Blog Comments

I wish there was a 'like' button like on Facebook... it's for the lazy souls that don't want to type a comment... now I am forced to. Loved the poems... fun and well done
    I'm glad to see something worthwhile came out of your meeting. Nice poetry Comedian i'm going to show the first one to my kids, they live on Youtube (sadly).
    Haha! That's a bad attitude there, Comedian. But I think Qimi is right, you have to combat the boredom. I can only imagine what the "admins" were talking about- back to basics- work on student grammar and spelling?
    A no bad meeting, causing 2 poems.
    Those are muy exelente, Comedian. I love writing in those meetinegs; you gotta have something to do to combat the wholesale death of your brain cells while listening to higher ups drone on and on.
    I'm glad you made the Star-Spangled Banner number one. This is a sweet, sweet version of the song-good choice, Comedian. I am very fond of the Dixie chicks. I'm so sick of people saying we should change our anthem to America the Beautiful, which I used to like when we sang it in school.

I still like John Phillips Sousa's music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOCxegQupMU
    Updated 07-16-2011 at 01:55 AM by qimissung
    Those are great songs. Ray Charles is fabulous in that one. You know, I don't hear "This Land is Your Land" very often. I remember hearing much more often when I was young. And the "Star Spangled Banner" is great no matter who sings it.

I would add "God Bless America" to that list, and probably - not probably definitely - my favorite patriotic tune is "When Johnny Comes Marching Home." The lyrics aren't as heart inspiring as some of the others, but the melody in that upper octave blows me away. Here's an instrumental version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXjf-a8fdc8

and here's a good version with lyrics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8oF6...eature=related
    Cheers to that.
    THAT is the way to do it! Sounds like a great 4th of July. P.s.- I'm not even American, but I play the piano, and a heart-felt rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner can make ME feel emotional.
    Thank you Come, for sharing your blissful life.

The orchids look so beautiful, I once planted some orchids but they never let me see such a nice flower
    Perhaps they'll come back into vogue. These things ofte go in cycles. It would only take a re-popularisation of the epic poetic form to get them revisited. Someone might be writing the revival right now.
    Thanks for the review. I too have been saddened to hear Bryant, Longfellow, et. all dismissed as trying too hard to emulate Victorian and major English styles "in an American" way (or whatever). They get passed over so easily on the way to "real" American voices.
    I've never read The Song of Hiawatha but you've made it sound wonderful. I'm trying to read a bit more lengthy / epic poetry. I'll add it to my list (you had me sold at 'I found the poem's rhythm similar to the quiet, short waves of a lake...' ). Thanks.
    @Gilliatt -- it's an Emotion Glide, about 9 and half feet long -- an all-purpose kayak, mid-grade. I did, however, install that little fishing-pole holder that you see in the image. It was pretty cheap and easy to install.

@ Neely -- thanks kind words. It's always nice when you stop by.

@ Fifth -- I'm pretty lucky in that I live in a tourist town in lake country. There are rivers and lakes all around and of all sizes: big, bigger, biggest. That place that I was writing about is only about a 5 minute drive from my house.

@ Paul, jersea, qimi -- thanks. It feels good to do some summer recreating again. Totally soul-i-fying.
    Three afternoons last week? I hope you get four this week. It sounds absolutely blissful.
    Brilliant. Once again Comedian shows us how it should be done.
    Sounds and looks blissful. We went canoeing last time we went camping, and it was fun and relaxing at the same time. I wish I lived close enough to a river to invest in one of my own. Slightly envious right now

Thanks for sharing. I love the pictures.
    Classic Comedian. Welcome summer! Great pixs.
    Comedian,

Wish I was there with you. Would you mind sharing a little more on the kayak? - make, type, etc.
    I've been toying with the idea of purchasing one or possibly making one. The Pink Slippers look great accompanied by what looks like an Oak seedling. Sounds like your father's day plans are set.

Gilliatt
    You live in a great place. The photos are excellent too.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast