View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Warning: Teacher Venting!

When a student says that an author "rambles on and on", I have to channel my inner-yoga guru to calm down before proceeding calmly on with the lesson or activity.

Why such professorial ire? Because when a student says that an author "rambles on", this is what he or she means: because I'm used to being fed Twitter-sized bites of literacy pertaining to sex, violence, and gossip, anything that offers explanation, justification, evidence, and logic, I will label as ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Some Poems I Wrote While Attending a Meeting at Work

YouTube Education

YouTube education
    In looping, 5-minute
    Flashes and rotation:
    Tell me that you "Like" it.

Post your thoughts and wisdom:
    "Boring or awesum,
    Or that Obama sux"
    Legare globus lux

Expiration
    A loose-limbed star,
    A limp, little rawr:
    Apathetic
    As a wood tick --
    In this meeting
    I suck the dead
    Expiration
    In the gloaming ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. O' Patriotic Me!

I spent the 4th of July on the shore of the great Gitche Gumee with family, friends, fireworks, a cold north wind, cheap American beer, new kayaks, a pan of room-temperature lasagne, plenty of bug spray, and a copy of Leaves of Grass.

We lit fireworks from the beach, drank too much, and talked loud. Got me feelin' the love for Americ-y. So I thought about the best patriotic songs of all time and I came up with a "best-of" list of 'em.

NOTE: This list is definitive ...

Updated 11-06-2011 at 12:23 AM by The Comedian

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. An Afternoon on the Water

Summer's here and with it come summer projects and, any chance I can, time on the water. This summer I bought a new kayak and I've been foolish about it ever since, taking it out three days this week alone.

Recently, I've enjoyed paddling the backwaters of an area reservoir; it's filled with wild life and most motorized boats don't go near it because, unless you are expert at finding the deep river channel, the area is far too shallow and unpredictable to navigate safely. But kayaks ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. By The Shores of Gitche Gumee

I can trace most of my joys, pensive moments, and profound decisions to a body of water: I asked my wife to marry me as we sat beside a lake in a state park. I spent hours skippin' stones along the length of the "crick" back home. I know the local waterways as I know the road to work.

Here are some fragments water and me: beers with my brother and a mess of rainbows on a stringer beside us; walking on the frozen reservoir and the terrifying thrill of hearing the ice crack ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast