View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. A New Run in an Old Forest

This weekend my family and I traveled south for a weekend vacation. I won't tell you where we went, but I will tell you about something that I did and the memories stirred from it.

So, without fail, every other day, I go for a four-mile run. Rain, snow, vacation or routine. . . . I run.

For many years now, I've run the roads of my northern home and have familiarized myself with the trees and vegetation along my route: quaking aspen, red oak, jack pine, red pine, white ...

Updated 06-15-2009 at 11:37 AM by The Comedian

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. From the Comedian's Journal (Circa 2005)

Spring, some years ago. . . .

As I watch my 10-month old daughter pluck a living leaf from the crab apple tree in our front yard. . . as I watch her fondle the now amputated and dying flesh of the tree, I see her open-mouthed face puzzle over this fading tissue, unsure of its use or purpose. She touches it, holds it, concerns herself over its texture, its edges, its softness.

She has killed this leaf. At her age, both acutely aware and blindly oblivious to her destructive ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A Book Review of Kipling's Jungle Book (Books 1 & 2)

NOTE: This is also posted on the book review section of the forum. I post it here because there are elements of personal connection and some short anecdotes that give the review a personal character. (Hey! Did I just book review my own book review?)

But on to the jungle. Here's the actual review:

A Critical Review of The Jungle Book (Books 1 & 2)
    By The Comedian

The two volumes that comprise the complete Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling consist ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. She Played in DDT: A Fond Memory Told by a Friend Over Dinner This Evening

This anecdote was told to me by a friend at dinner today.

So when my friend was a little girl in the late 1960s, she lived on an Army base in Southern Utah (USA). During the warm summers there, the hedgerows that lined the streets of the base (particularly the housing area where the families of the soldiers lived) became gathering places for mosquitoes.

To alleviate these pests, the Army would load a tanker truck with DDT and douse the hedgerows every Sunday. "The ...

Updated 05-14-2009 at 10:37 PM by The Comedian

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Skol! Four Cheers for a Favorite Professor (part 1)

He was crass, funny, wise, and compassionate. And upon reflection, he was too easy. But he fueled in me a fiery passion for language and story that has yet to burn out, now 10 years since the last time that I sat in his class.

I think of his class as a campfire where stories, and the shared experience of telling them, made the edges of my mundane world glitter with the possibility of magic and divinity.

This entry (and the three to come) are dedicated to him.

Updated 05-13-2009 at 01:35 PM by The Comedian

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast