Blog Comments

Hey Virgil -- good to see you too. I took a long break from Lit Net, a break that I never intended to be as long as it was. Life is good, busy. But it always is. I'm hoping to be more of a presence here. Lit Net was good for me.
    It's been many years since I read Meditations, but I always remember that tribute Aurelius pays his father at the beginning. It's one of those fragments of literature that stays with me.
    Nice to see you Comedian! Glad to see your apparently doing well. I don't stop here that often - unfortunately I don't have the time for Lit Net any more - but it's always a pleasure to see old friends when I do.

I had never heard of Ruth Hall. I'll have to catalog in my memory banks.
    [QUOTE=TheFifthElement;bt60918]That's an amazing list, Comedian.
    Thanks for stopping by all --

@fifth -- I really enjoyed reading Metamorphoses. I had read parts of it in Latin way back when at the university. But I wanted to read the whole thing (in English, my Latin days are behind me). I've been on an epic poem kick for a while, so I try every year to get in a few new ones. Well worth your time, with some beautiful stories. The metamorphosis theme gets a little wearisome after a long while, that that might have just been that I was itchin' to get on to something else too.

@ Virgil and qimi -- Twain was one of the main authors that I wanted to focus on last year, and it was time well spent. Connecticut Yankee is akin to Guliver's travels and, as such, is deep with satire. Heck, even the main character, Hank, and the author of the book himself are satirized. No body escapes.

No, I haven't read Life on the Mississippi, but I'd love to. That and Roughing It are the two Twain reads that I'd like to get done in 2013. Maybe we could have a little Twain reading group some this year. That would keep me motivated. I'd certainly be okay with Life on the Mississippi. In fact, I think that I have a copy of it in my "Fish Room" (our family's word for what's commonly known as 'man cave').

@ Virgil and Fifth -- I love reading philosophy. In fact, much of my non-obligated reading time was devoted to philosophy even before I decided to get a degree in the subject. I think that Fifth, you hit the rabbit on the cottontail -- it is very relaxing to read. And even in my literature life, I've always found reading and the arts as a search for meaning, even a temporary sense of meaning was at once exhilarating and calming. I guess philosophy offers that directly. Of course it helps when you read philosophy written by a gifted writer such as Plato, Schopenhauer, Dewey, James, Mill, Hume, Kierkegaard. . . . Oh, and yes, Seneca is great writer, Virgil. And he's a stoic, so if you like stuff from people like Marcus Aurelius or Epictetus, you'd like Seneca.
    Wow that is amazing. I had not been reading for a long time but I have started again and I am really enjoying it. Seeing peoples lists here makes me want to read more.
    Somehow I missed this the other day. Very good list. I see you really like Twain. I am going to be reading a Twain work this coming year and for better or worse i settled on Life On the Mississippi. Have you read that? I could never read that much philosophy. Actually I'm not sure I can read any philosophy without being forced to. Still I feel guilty I haven't read more Plato and Aristotle. The Seneca one looks tempting. The Ciardi translation of Dante is the one I used way back. In recent years I picked up more scholarly translations that have a ton of references and shows the complex intricacy of the work. The complex intricacies are great to know and demonstrates how phenomenal the work is, but it bogs me down and I never get through more than a few Cantos. I really should go back to the Ciardi and read it for enjoyment. O'Neil's Long Day's is outstanding. Thanks. I love seeing what other people have read. I guess I'm nosy.
    Wowzers. My brother majored in Philosophy, although he found employment in other areas after college, but that gene completely escaped me. I did read "Sophie's World" which I enjoyed but didn't get at all. Maybe you could explain it to me sometime?

Also, I have always completely discounted "A Connecticut Yankee," although like everyone else I love Twain. I read his "Advice to Youth" to my seniors last year. That is one of the most achingly funny-and brilliant- things I have ever read. I'll give it a look see.

It is really good to see you on the blogs again. We've missed your musings on nature and your family.
    Quite an accomplishment!
    Stay warm up there and Happy New Year!
    Great list sir! You read a nice range, which must have made it more enjoyable. In contrast, I think I read about 3 books this year!

I loved The Sorrows of Young Werther and the Beautiful and the Damned.

I want to read A Street Car Needed Desire.

A very impressive list and one worthy of a little bragging!

Also good to see you on the blogs. Happy New Year!
    That's an amazing list Comedian. What did you think of Metamorphoses? I keep meaning to get around to reading that one. There's a lot of ancient literature on your list, and philosophy. I always find philosophy really hard to take in (but strangely soothing). Aside from anything written by Bertrand Russell, I've never managed to finish an entire philosophical work so to read so many is very impressive.

Always good to see you around. I hope you and your family have a wonderful 2013.
    Oh that is sweet, and sad of course. I've given thought how my son will react when our dog passes on.
    Thanks guys.

Vanilla was a good little pet, but you're right Nik and immortal rat might be too much for one family to endure! :-)

@Lucky -- I get so choked up when the girls get choked up. The loss of Vanilla, while sad, I can handle, but when the the kids feel the pain of loss as an unfamiliar novelty. . . .man, that just kills a guy (metaphorically, that is. . .).
    Qi - it's better that than to have an immortal pet. : - )

But they are sweet, aren't they?
    I think I would have liked Vanilla. I'm sorry that she's gone, and I'm sorry that your little girl had to lose her sweet pet.
    Oh, that's sad for the little ones. Sorry to hear, am sure they are quite sad.

We have a regular pet cemetery in the woods behind our house- a cat, rabbit, and a dog. All beloved creatures and we visit every time we go for a hike in the woods.
    Losing a pet is always so hard for children Mine still talk of our one dog we had to have put down, and it still puts a lump in my throat some nearly two years later.
    I sorry hearing about Vanilla.
    I smiled when I read this. I have found myself doing the same things with my son. Education is so firmly rooted in memorization, and I remember being miserable at it as a child. Your Sissy will get it We work through ours in the grocery store, or the pool like Qimi suggests. My son is terribly distractible, and I find that by working with him when he's already distracted means that when he has fewer ones then he does better.
    This is brilliant. Being forced to be one of those Hard Times teachers (and a parent) I can definitely relate.

I've come to the conclusion that they (and myself when I'm brave enough) are focusing on the wrong verb. Instead of making them learn, which they are trying to make us do, we should instead let them learn. One small word, a world of difference.

I know you want her to focus, Comedian, but maybe you could break up her lesson into two or three bite sized pieces for the summer; maybe spend the first five minutes when your in the pool asking a question then thowing her the ball when she gets it right, then letting her ask you a question, etc. Then repeat at bathtime...

In other words make a game of it. Maybe let her make up a game, too. That way you're both exercising the creative aspect of it, while at the same time diminishing the rote aspect of it. And making it (oh that dreaded word) fun. Hmmm, whoever thought learning could be fun?

Anywho, you're obviously a great dad, and kind, and good, and loving. Good luck. I know you guys will get there.
Page 1 of 28 12345611 ... LastLast