Blog Comments

Thanks for reading, Jack.

I know Angela's Ashes will be good, I'm just a chicken about immersing myself in the pain.

As to your observation, I agree. I don't read letters of famous people much, but on one hand to get such a genuine and intimate peek into the minds of certain people was to much to resist.
    Angela's Ashes and 'Tis were good reads.

Regarding Joyce's letters, it's just funny to see colossal talent throw itself behind something like that. The weird part is, reading those letters, you begin to think that's perverted but somehow elegant in terms of style.

J
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    I love their sale racks, DM. I, too, have gotten some good books dirt cheap there, which is one reason why I like them. Thanks for the input on "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." I liked "Catcher in the Rye," so I'm cool with the comparison.

Thank you both for reading.
    Haha ok, I was a bit worried when I sad that, it might turn you away from reading a really good book.
    It's been awhile since I've seen it. But that's what we white Americans do, Prince, didn't you know that? We save the world!

I love their sale racks, DM. I, too, have gotten some good books dirt cheap there, which is one reason why I like them. Thanks for the input on "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." I liked "Catcher in the Rye," so I'm cool with the comparison.

Thank you both for reading.
    Updated 12-04-2011 at 08:58 PM by qimissung
    "well spent" indeed - and so generously recreated here. Wee quibble about "City of Joy" since I just saw it on TV a day or two ago: maybe the writing is a bit more tough but the movie was pretty schmaltsy! I mean, virtually the whole of Calcutta waiting to be rescued by one white American!!
    The two things I like most about Half-Price books is that you can tell them to recycle any books which they cannot use, so I use them mostly to get the books off my hands which the other used book store I like to go has no use for and won't buy back. Also the Half-Price books out here has a great selection of $1 books. Most places it is made quite obvious why the books are only a dollar, but at Half-Price, I have acutally gotten some really good classics in thier $1 bin.

And I have to say I absolutely loved "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" In ways it almost reminded me of "A Catcher in the Rye" Though I know for some people that would be a death sentence to make that comparison.
    I love the Whitman/Ginsbergesque "yawlping" and "howling" of this poem. It's always so refreshing to read something that celebrates lived experience.
    Sounds like you were having a good day. Not bad, but it feels like it needs more, unless you just want to capture a moment.
    Thank you, jersea.
    I can feel the vitality Q.
    Thank you, Olga, from one cat lover to another!
    Thank you for sending me this link. You know I am a BIG CAT-LOVER! I have 3 cats. One of them Panteleimon (my favorite) was smaller than my palm when I got him and right now his head is lying on my computer while I am typing. He is more than 10 years old and I am scared of the fact that one day he will have to go forever.
    I wish puck long years of healthy quality life!
    I will be looking for your posts about him.
    I love the name Richard! So cute!

That sounds like a good description of Puck, too. He came downstairs today and we cat together on the couch and I petted him for awhile. Then he wanted outside, so I went out there with him. He wandered around for a few minutes, then I took him back upstairs.
    Cute cat he's almost as old as our cat, Richard, and looks to be in physically better shape. Richard is still okay; she's sleepy a lot and gets lost in the house and generally moans like an old granny, but she's well enough. You clearly care for Puck a lot, and he looks very cosy and confident in your picture.

A nice, cheery blog entry. Thanks for sharing Qimi.
    Thanks, Jersea. I've never had an animal that took a long time dying. Your husband is a kind and patient man. I feel like you can tell a person's character by how they treat those weaker than themselves.

Thank you Juniper. Those ARE good qualities, aren't they?

Thank you Snowqueen and Yuka. I'm sorry you can't see the picture, although in all honesty it's not a great one.

He is friendly, Themis! (He's been neutered, so I don't know about the girlfriends )

You all traded cats for a Jack Russell, eh, Paul? That's going from one extreme to another!

Thanks, Virgil. I try, anyway.

Update: I'm going to get some diatomaceous earth, hopefully tomorrow. I've heard of this product before, although I've never tried it, I don't know why. It sounds like it could really work. I certainly hope so. I get tired of essentially putting poison on my animals.
    What a pity! I just can't see the picture.

You really tell a great story of Puck, Qim, I love him. And good luck with him.
    He looks very good for his age. Wow, you've had a 20 year old and one over eighteen years old. You certainly must be doing something right.
    We always had cats until my wife thouht it would be good to have a Jack Russell. No more cats now for a while!

Puck sounds familiar. He seems a bit like Hutch - a cat who used to live with my Mother in Law who also didn't move very much.
    What a cute cat! Some cats can be a bit aloof, but yours seems very friendly. Also, I love how he got his name, that's cute.
    It’s a great story of Puck; He seems friendly too and he must have lots of girlfriends then.
    I hope he stays around for few more years.
    Though I can’t see his picture but I’m sure he is very cute.
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast