View RSS Feed

Litnet Challenge

1. Balthasar Gracian-The art of getting ahead at any

by , 06-25-2008 at 02:33 PM (A Ramble through Smilie Land)
    Well now am 1/4 of the way through The art of Worldly wisdom, that is I ended up buying the book and reading that way although I am still reading them via subscription in my emails.
    Must say though the book is a bit of a disappointment I misunderstood what it was I was buying and I thought I was getting a copy that was printed in such a way that there was only 1-2 maxims per page and Id thus have room for personal comments all around.
    Sadly I missed the fact that it was a pocket book ...

Updated 08-20-2008 at 05:20 PM by Nightshade

Categories
    Litnet Challenge
  2. Franz Kafka-The Czech yet not author

by , 06-24-2008 at 04:34 PM (A Ramble through Smilie Land)
    Kafka is a mystery, he really is. Several times in the last couple of weeks Ive been asked have you read any Czech authors to which Ive replied no but Im about to read Kafka, to which i inevitably get a blank stare and the words oh but he's not really Czech he was German...??? err come again

Well it turns out while he was born and lived in Prague, and there are streets named after him and the museum, he wrote in german and spoke german and thus does not qualify as a Czech writer, ...

Updated 08-20-2008 at 05:22 PM by Nightshade

Categories
    Litnet Challenge
  3. Orczy last part

by , 06-19-2008 at 05:07 PM (A Ramble through Smilie Land)
    Finally finished The sparrow hawks nest really really got to say I struggled with it. And the sad thing is I actually used to enjoy her books, I hope this hasnt ruined the for me for lifr brcause that would just annoy me !

What can I say it was pointless gothic drivel, but lacking the fantastic entertainment factor that so many of her other books have. But as usual the historical aspects appear to have been really well researched and the book did get me to brush up on my english civil ...

Updated 08-20-2008 at 05:22 PM by Nightshade

Categories
    Litnet Challenge
  4. litnet Challenge update

by , 06-16-2008 at 02:02 PM (A Ramble through Smilie Land)
    Just thought Id mention that Im nearing the end of Orczy... not quite sure why I loved her book so much when I was younger .. I must be growing up. And the next few reads wont be junk, thought Id kill 2 birds with one stone and join Junes boo club and read the Odessey and also will start Kafa's Metamorphisis as soon as Im done with the sparrowhawk.

Updated 08-20-2008 at 05:23 PM by Nightshade

Categories
    Litnet Challenge
  5. Orczy pt2; a running commentary

by , 05-22-2008 at 07:01 PM (A Ramble through Smilie Land)
    Oh Gothic novel heroines are so annoying Id forgotten quite how much I dislike them, honestly no sense at all!
    Then one night--it was the first balmy evening after the winter frosts--the moon was singularly bright, and the hood had fallen back from her head, just as her face was tilted upwards and her eyes glowing with enthusiasm. Then she knew that he had learnt to love her, not through any words which he spoke, for he was silent; his face was in shadow, and he did not even touch her; therefore

Updated 08-20-2008 at 05:24 PM by Nightshade

Categories
    Litnet Challenge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast