1. A Brief History of Comedy

423BC Aristophanes writes Clouds
    422BC Aristophanes writes Wasps
    421BC Aristophanes writes Peace
    414BC Aristophanes writes Birds
    411BC Aristophanes writes Lysistrata
    411BC Aristophanes writes Thesmophoriazusae
    317BC Menander writes The Grouch
    234–184 BC Plautus writes The Pot of Gold, Amphytrion, The Haunted House, Miles Gloriosus, The Menaechmus Twins, and Pseudolus
    166BC Terence writes the Girl from Andros
    165BC Terence writes The ...

Updated 12-22-2017 at 08:24 AM by mortalterror

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Started reading again after a long dry spell

Finished reading John Ford's Tis Pity She's a Whore today. I was unimpressed by the action, characterization, and story in general. Incest really isn't my thing, and I can't say it peaks my curiosity. But the play was saved by the excellent quality of the verse. While not as fine as Marlowe or Shakespeare's it was still quite good. The lines were smoother, more natural and flowing than either of the former writer's but without the same power in most cases. I wish I knew more about poetry so I could ...
    Categories
  3. Approaching a Scientific Theory of Literature

A week ago, it occurred to me that I could model a given writer's chances of producing masterpieces using the r/K selection theory of evolutionary biology. It shows the reproductive behavior of different types of species. Some species produce a number of offspring very quickly. They do not care for them well, and most of them die fairly quickly. But some of them find a niche in the environment and live to maturity. Other animals, often larger species, produce relatively few young but then they care ...
    Categories
  4. The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius

I finally finished The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. I can't say that I enjoyed it, so I'm glad that it is over. The Analects of Confucius, and The Maxims of La Rochefoucauld were the same sort of thing but much better. There were two parts I did like though:

Book II. 17. In human life time is but an instant, and the substance of it a flux, and the perception dull, and the composition of the whole body subject to putrefaction, and the soul a whirl, and fortune hard to divine, and ...
    Categories
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678