Blog Comments

Thank you for commenting, gimissung. I'm glad someone besides myself can get some use out of my compulsive listmaking.
    Wow, that is some list. I guess I need to actually read some more by the Greeks. Or not. Maybe I'll just continue thinking about it.

I am glad to see "Catcher in the Rye" on there. I think it's kind of gotten a lot of unnecessary flak of late, though I'm not sure I understand why. I love it. I should re-read it, it's been awhile. A-r-g-h, there I go with the "shoulds" again.

Anyway, thanks for all the lists, I enjoyed reading them.
    Good excerpt!

One of the key things I gain from reading Marcus Aurelius is the state of presence he exudes - it's where he wrote it from, and it's he leads you.

He makes constant use of changing perspective as a tool to cope with the mishappenings of life, but also to get a more realistic view of the impermanence of all things - ourselves included.

Marcus Aurelius was one of those few persons in History that combined power with humbleness. One often overlooked fact, which I find quite relevant when judging people of the past, is that he actively participated in the slaughter of christians. He saw them as a sect that threatened his empire.

I say, let's focus on the good he left us with and see who dares cast the first stone.
    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts -- absolutely fascinating, and good stuff to mull over. You get some stars from me!
    Thank you very much, everybody. It's nice to be here.
    How very very fascinating. Really neat; I've never thought of that before.
    Haven't read this book, but thanks for sharing your thoughts. And a warm welcome to the Blogs! Kizzo
    I too have read parts. I always loved the opening:

1. FROM my grandfather Verus [I learned] good morals and the government of my temper. 1
    2. From the reputation and remembrance of my father, modesty and a manly character. 2
    3. From my mother, piety and beneficence, and abstinence, not only from evil deeds, but even from evil thoughts; and further simplicity in my way of living, far removed from the habits of the rich. 3
    4. From my great-grandfather, not to have frequented public schools, and to have had good teachers at home, and to know that on such things a man should spend liberally.
    It's something I always keep in mind about my parents and grandparents. Not only does it show continuity of knowledge, but it shows respect.
    Very interesting choice of reading. I, myself have read parts, but doubt that I could read the whole thing... I'm a chicken! ~:>