View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Disappointment

by , 02-20-2014 at 10:10 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I started writing a blog post about unemployment, and that the stated figures are not in agreement with the greater unemployment that I see, so I looked at the available statistics, and I was shocked. The information that the BLS puts out are incomplete, and there are no tables of the missing numbers. That creates the appearance that the numbers were dreamed up. That was a disappointment. I was looking forward to ranting for six hundred words, but I can’t.

This started last week, ...
  2. Feeding the Sharks

by , 02-17-2014 at 10:38 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Even the sharks have to eat, but I prefer to avoid being the food. I won’t even begrudge the sharks who own or work for Bank of America (as Nation’s Bank is now called) or JPMorgan Chase (as Manufacturers’ Hanover Trust is now called) or any other of those pirates and sharks who run banks and insurance companies, but I resent being forced by law to feed them, and that’s what obamacare is about. Obama sold himself to the sharks, and I hope that he got a good price, but I won’t ...

Updated 02-17-2014 at 05:53 PM by PeterL (typo)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Serfs Anonymous

by , 02-13-2014 at 10:47 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was just writing the submission guidelines for a magazine that I am planning to start, when I came to the matter of the Fantasy subgenre. For some reason it has remained stuck in the Middle Ages, and I wonder why. There is something cute about knights, but is a strongly hierarchical society all that interesting or desirable, or what. Do the writers of that sort of thing want to be serfs in a restored feudal society? If that’s the sort of society they want, then they must realize that I would ...

Updated 02-13-2014 at 06:35 PM by PeterL (typos)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Conquest

by , 02-11-2014 at 10:47 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    After careful consideration, I have concluded that conquest of all or part of Kiribati would be best for my retirement community. More specifically, the Phoenix Islands are all but completely uninhabited, so it probably would be possible to take over without offending many people. Unfortunately, the islands have been declared a marine heritage zone, or some such thing. That’s fine with me, and with most people, because humans live on land, not in the ocean, and our food needs wouldn’t make much ...
  5. The Love Diet

by , 02-03-2014 at 05:01 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I will have to put off recruiting for the retirement community in the Phoenix Islands until another day, because I had a wonderful idea. I realized that the Happiness Diet only needed a little tweaking to become the love diet or even the seduction diet, depending on the nature of the relationship and the intention of the user(s). Functional foods are a good idea, and this is one of the more useful specializations.

Feelings of love or lust or something like that are matters of ...

Updated 02-08-2014 at 12:14 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized