View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. More Inequality

by , 03-29-2014 at 10:02 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    or Some Are More Equal Than Others

I read the news last month (oh boy), and this is the result.
    There were two stories (links below) that got my attention for the same reason, and eliminating the issues would be very easy. (Actually, there was a third story that interested me, but for a very different reason.) One had the headline “Judge rules Texas same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional”, and the other bore the headline “Dim prospects for House Republican plan to overhaul ...

Updated 03-29-2014 at 08:34 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Why Does Religion Get a Free Pass?

by , 03-25-2014 at 03:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Religious discrimination

Here in the U.S.A. we are guaranteed the right to practice the religion of our choice, which is interesting, and we are further guaranteed that there will be no establishment of religion, but this part has been completely ignored. Organized religion has been established as official and even granted tax exempt status. “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” This was applied to ...
  3. Reversing the North Caucasian Diaspora

by , 03-18-2014 at 03:59 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The current unpleasantness in Ukraine has caught my attention to a slight degree, especially in light of the Winter Olympics having been held nearby. The location of the Olympics gave me a hint as to the best way to handle the matter. As I am sure you know, Sochi was the principal city of Circassia before the Russians conquered that country to go along with the rest of their conquests South and East of Russia proper. I can understand the conquest of the Crimean Peninsula, which the Russians took ...

Updated 03-19-2014 at 08:02 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Religious Thinking

by , 03-16-2014 at 12:34 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Or believing versus knowing

It has come to our attention that religious thinking has been spreading to other matters. By religious thinking I mean opinions that are believed or claimed as fact, without question and with nothing more substantial that a nudist’s pants to support them. Such unsupported ideas have appeared in politics, diet, clothing, and just about everything else, even in the hard sciences. It might be easier to say that it appears that more people are taking their ...

Updated 03-17-2014 at 01:24 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. An Argosy Bound To. . .

by , 03-13-2014 at 08:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)

Antonio wasn’t the only one whose ship had to come in. He aimed high, and he was farsighted. Yes, he was a speculator, but if it weren’t for people who were willing to try something, then we humans would still be following predators around in the hope of scaring them off their kills. And that was only one of the huge gambles that humans have made. I was just thinking about the Mars One idea. I don’t know how far it will go, but big gambles pay off big, if they come in. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized