View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Botching Executions

by , 05-01-2014 at 04:31 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I just saw a news article about a botched execution in Oklahoma (link below). That is inexcusable. There are many ways to kill someone painlessly. Many people will take that story as a reason why capital punishment should be banned, but it is just an example of people not knowing what they are doing. Personally, I think there are people who have lost any right to live through their crimes, so I believe that capital punishment is appropriate in many cases.

More than two hundred years ...

Updated 05-06-2014 at 04:21 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Detecting Propaganda for Fun and Profit

by , 04-29-2014 at 04:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    On another forum to which I belong there recently was a question about propaganda. A request was made for information about how to write propaganda. After some initial comments about advertising and ordinary public relations writing. People started suggesting real world examples, such as the jingoism and appeals to greatness that Hitler and others have used. And it was pointed out the heavy-handed propaganda that some have used isn’t as effective as the subtle propaganda that has become popular ...
  3. Some Attributes of the Gods

by , 04-26-2014 at 10:51 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The concept of god(s) tells us a great deal about people, and it tells us more when we look at the particularly options available and who opts for which sort of god(s). As was recorded by the ancestors of the Ancient Greeks, the Gods overthrew the rule of their parents, the Titans. From the fragmentary evidence that is still available it appears that the Titans and the Gods were all in possession of powers that were much greater than are humans, but in other ways the Gods were quite like humans ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Satire Problem

by , 04-23-2014 at 05:01 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Satire has become very difficult to write, because actual events have become so absurd, and straight-faced statements are more absurd than anything I could dream up. This came to mind because I saw in the news that Republicans are suggesting that the U.S. should send troops to Ukraine. And I consider that to be insane.

Apparently those people don’t remember that Russia has roughly as many nuclear weapons as the U.S. has. While it would be nice if Russia were to pull their commandos ...
  5. Luck

by , 04-19-2014 at 01:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There are people who say that people make their own luck, but I have found that to be false. People may methodically work their ways into the catbird seat, but luck is different. For some reason that was not apparent to me, this came to me as the next thing that I should blog about. Maybe because my luck is not as good as I would like.

Whether one looks at the dictionary definition or the concept of luck that people use, it is a rather amorphous concept. The Wikipedia article (link ...