View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. The Next Great Leap In Transportation

by , 04-06-2012 at 01:59 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I think that I may have figured out why steam went out of use in transportation. It's too simple, too easy. I used to think of steam engines as a quaint, old-fashioned thing, but recently they came to my attention again in a way that made me go into the matter a little more, and I learned that there were steam engines in the 1920's that had total efficiencies that were as good as or better than most internal combustion automobiles have now. Doble put out models that weighed over 5000 pounds that ...

Updated 04-22-2012 at 03:08 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Lies

by , 04-29-2009 at 10:08 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Big lies aren't new. About seventy years ago, Hitler created several, and FDR created several others. The USSR was based on big lies, and NATO was based, in part, on another set of big lies. Fortunately, the U.S.A had a few leaders in the sixty years who were fundamentally honest. Eisenhower told us to beware the military industrial complex, and he was ignored. He was one of the very few fundamentally honest ones, but we have had some leaders who were partly honest but greatly misled, Johnson for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Textual discourse and modernism

by , 03-18-2009 at 01:45 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    1. Textual discourse and Marxist capitalism

The primary theme of Abianís[1] analysis of modernism is a mythopoetical totality. Bataille promotes the use of textual discourse to read and challenge class. Thus, the cultural paradigm of consensus holds that the establishment is capable of truth.

The subject is interpolated into a that includes reality as a whole. But Baudrillardís critique of Lacanist obscurity states that discourse is a product of the masses, but only ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Ten Books (plus a few)

by , 03-29-2008 at 11:00 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I thank Antiquarian for posting this earlier.

1. What is one book that changed your life: "Bored of the Rings" showed me that great literature can be hidden in something that looks silly.

2. What is one book that you’ve read more than once: "Lord of.Light" by Roger Zelazny and "The Stones of Nomuru" by L. Sprague de Camp are two that I can read and enjoy every year. I feel compelled to reread The Ship That Sailed the Time Stream fairly often, ...

Updated 10-09-2010 at 03:20 PM by PeterL (typo)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. How to Write a Thriller

by , 10-20-2007 at 04:22 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I heard mention of the above mentioned essay by Ian Fleming earlier, and it sounded like it might be useful. I found it online, and it is a decent piece of advice on writing. There was an especially useful bit of advice about writing filling emotional holes in lives. I won't post the essay, but it is online at
    http://www.jamesbondwiki.com/page/Ia...+Essays?t=anon

Alas, Ian Fleming's heirs ordered that it be taken from there, and I haven't been able to find any other ...

Updated 08-12-2014 at 07:02 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized