View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Jeffrey Amherst, smallpox blankets, and the Indians

by , 06-17-2014 at 09:40 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Just because everyone thinks something happened is not a good reason to think that it did occur.. For decades I had believed that Lord Jeffrey Amherst had spread smallpox among American Indians by giving them smallpox infested blankets in an effort to reduce their numbers. I don’t remember when I first encountered that story; it might have been in elementary school. But I never bothered to look into the matter until recently, when an acquaintance, who is not the most credible person I have ever ...
  2. Reversing Global Warming, part three

by , 06-15-2014 at 09:03 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This is part three of a series of blog posts on reversing global warming. In the first part I proposed trying iron dust on the oceans to cause phytoplankton blooms that would eliminate atmospheric CO2, which would (in theory) reduce global warming. The second method would be to cut down on heating from the Sun. And this third part is about cheaper ways to reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth.

In addition to the methods for shielding the Earth from the radiation from the ...
  3. Reversing Global Warming, part two

by , 06-13-2014 at 08:48 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This is part two of a series of blog posts on reversing global warming. In the first I proposed trying iron dust on the oceans to cause phytoplankton blooms that would eliminate atmospheric CO2, which would (in theory) reduce global warming. The second method would be to cut down on heating from the Sun.

It is obvious that reducing the amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth would lower the temperature of the Earth. My suggestion is not new. Others have suggested shielding the ...

Updated 06-13-2014 at 10:12 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Reversing Global Warming, part one

by , 06-10-2014 at 08:12 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    People are always talking about the weather, but I am proposing that we do something about it. This is the first of three (or maybe more) posts about reducing or reversing global warming.

People have been talking and writing about global warming since they stopped talking about the next ice age; that was around 1980. So far it has all be words. It climate scientists are so sure that human activity has been causing a rise in temperatures, then we should correct the damage before it ...

Updated 06-10-2014 at 09:49 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Solar cycles

by , 06-07-2014 at 03:30 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was told that I should write on Climate Change again. I complained that I already had done so enough, but I couldn’t think of anything better to write about, so I looked into the periodicity of climate change. It is a very interesting subject, and there is more to be done with it, but there isn’t enough data for everything to be put together in a neat, compact essay, and the scientists have the same problem. There are several types of variation in solar heating of the Earth; some are effects of ...

Updated 06-07-2014 at 03:47 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized