View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Connected to Time and Place

by , 08-16-2014 at 01:14 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A while ago I noticed something that is quite common, so common that it is not worthy of notice, inconsequential; to wit, someone going around listening to music through earplugs. I remember thinking that missing auditory input from one's surroundings might be dangerous. I don't recall learning of any problems from this custom, but I am sure there have been some, but not so many that it is viewed as a hazard. I know that I find auditory information useful when I am in public spaces, but the greatest ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Is it true that I’m no longer young?

by , 08-14-2014 at 02:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This is something that I wrote a few months ago and forgot about, but it’s worth the wait.

I don’t worry about it, but as with my questions about the perception of time, I wonder how other people perceive their own aging. There are many signs, both real and illusory, of aging, and they appear at different times in different people’s lives. I have been listening to the Jefferson Airplane recently, and I enjoy their lyrics and sounds more now than I did when they were fresh and new. ...

Updated 08-14-2014 at 06:41 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Blood Type Diet

by , 08-12-2014 at 02:43 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I just learned that The Blood Type Diet existed. Skeptic that I am, I immediately thought it was a scam, but I thought that I’d do well to look into it a little and find out what the theory and causational links are supposed to be. Web MD has an article about the diet that is quite balanced and not completely critical. Then I looked at the web site of Peter D’Adamo, who dreamed up the diet, and all I found were irrelevant comments that didn’t tell how this is supposed to work. That got me to wondering ...
  4. Get Rich Quick

by , 08-10-2014 at 03:57 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Get Rich Quick schemes are always popular, and some of them actually work, but the “Rich” and “quick” parts make them doubtful. If someone approached me with a scheme to become reasonably well-off in not too long a time, then I would be more receptive to the idea, whatever it might be. But right now I would find it very convenient to become rich immediately or earlier, and it doesn’t look like the people who owe me money are inclined to become honest.

Forbes suggests the stock market, ...

Updated 09-03-2014 at 08:34 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Ending the Mideast Troubles

by , 08-04-2014 at 09:19 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was going to write about this some time ago, but someone convinced me to steer clear. Well, it’s looking nastier than usual and getting worse, so maybe I should throw in my five trillion dollars’ worth.

A common characteristic of humans is hating anyone they consider different from them. The difference can be anything from skin color to physiognomy to abstruse point of philosophy, and the degree of difference makes no difference in how much they hate. Such hatreds are purely voluntary ...