View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Horological Concerns

by , 08-28-2014 at 09:25 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Horology (via Latin horologium from Greek ὡρολόγιον, from ὥρα hṓra "hour; time" + -o- interfix + suffix -logy; lit. the study of time
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horology
    I have written about horological reform before, and I thought it was time to do so again, but this dictionary in Microsoft doesn’t seem to realize that “horological” is a perfectly good and correctly spelled word. Perhaps other s agree.

Apparently there are few straightforward histories of ...
  2. Human Spare Parts

by , 08-25-2014 at 09:04 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It isn’t as much of an issue now as it was at some other times, but there are still people who are concerned about stem cell research. I can understand people disapproving of the use of cells of living people in the research, but after the death of a person it should be a non-issue. I suppose that using cells from aborted fetuses would bother people who oppose abortion, but the good that may come from the research should come close to outweighing the origin, but fetal stem cells are no longer required ...
  3. Mosquitos: Everyone’s Enemy

by , 08-22-2014 at 03:15 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It is written that there are about 3500 species of mosquitos, but not all of them bite humans, and about 170 species in North America. The spreading of disease is mostly done by two species: Aedes aegypti and the Aedes albopictus, the latter of which is commonly known as the Asian tiger mosquito because of its black and white stripes.” (From Fox News article, link below) That article also explains why the bites itch. If you want more methods for stopping the itching, then the wikihow article might ...

Updated 08-23-2014 at 10:11 AM by PeterL

Tags: bite, buzz, itch, mosquito
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Photography, a Symptom of Dementia?

by , 08-20-2014 at 01:28 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Photography, a Symptom of Dementia

There was a convention of photographers near here recently. It spurred me to think more about the mental aberration that causes people to take photographs, but even after considering the matter, I am not certain exactly why people engage in that behavior, but there probably are several reasons.

The clearest rationale for photography is that photographers have poor memories. If they had good memories, then they wouldn’t even ...
  5. Suicide alternatives

by , 08-19-2014 at 09:46 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I am not considering suicide but trying to do a small favor for people who may be. This came to mind, because Robin Williams hanged himself yesterday. I have never been a fan of Mr. Williams, but I think it is horrible that anyone would die by that method. If you really want to kill yourself, then use a better method; there are many, but some of the alternatives are worse.

The best alternative is to fake your death and disappear. Andy Kaufman may have done that. He was officially ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized