View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Words versus Images

by , 09-12-2014 at 09:20 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In Medieval times literacy was for clerics and few others. Umberto Eco quoted one thinker of that period as saying something along the lines of Paintings are the books of the illiterate was a commonplace. I have looked for this a few times but without success. I have also thought about it and the implications of those two types of perceiving and communicating.

I believe that the difference still exists. I don't know what the official literacy rate is, but it probably overstates literacy ...
  2. Running and Asperger's Syndrome

by , 09-09-2014 at 03:53 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have been acquainted with runners for several decades, and I have found that they do not have the same personality (mentality) profile as the rest of humanity. It is easy to simply pass them off as endorphin addicts, but there seems to be an underlying reason why they require an increase in the amount of endorphins. In addition, the incidence of Asperger's Syndrome among runners is greater than among the population at large. Those two characteristics may be related or they may not; I have not ...
  3. Implications of Quantum Mechanical Effects on the Macro Scale

by , 09-08-2014 at 08:53 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Now that it has been demonstrated that effects that were previously thought to exist on the Quantum scale also exist on the macro scale we will have to figure out how to use those effects. It is likely that the effects were first noticed in very small things, because it is easier to apply the conditions on very small things. There probably is a way to entangle the particles of a human with something else, but it will be more difficult than it was with a pair of diamonds. And how will we get one ...
  4. Obama Created ISIS

by , 09-04-2014 at 07:30 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    That is not an exaggeration. ISIS would not exist, if Obama weren’t an ignorant clown who has no idea how the rest of the world runs, and who badly messed up with regard to Syria. He should have supported Assad against the rebels. Apparently he thinks that everyone is supposed to crawl to his side of the issues, especially if he’s wrong. For someone who is supposed to be well educated he seems to have a very poor grasp of the situation in the Middle East. I wonder if he even knew that Assad, both ...
    Tags: ally, friend, isis, syria
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. An Open Letter to Vladimir Putin

by , 09-01-2014 at 07:31 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. (An old adage)

Mr. Putin, I usually try to ignore what the leaders of other countries do; it usually is none of my business, but the recent activities that Russia has engaged in with respect to Ukraine are the business of everyone in the world. We know the history, and we understand why Russia might want to regain some of its past glory, but taking pieces of neighboring countries in an attempt to do that is counterproductive; ...