View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Tying Up Trade (TPP)

by , 05-26-2015 at 07:56 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This afternoon I started looking at information about the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). I had expected that it was just another treaty to give advantages to some countries over others in trade with the U.S.A., but it turns out that it is much more complicated, and it appears to be designed to give advantages to corporations and individuals, rather than to countries. I find it strange that it also seeks to change U.S. statute laws, such as copyright law through treaty, rather than the old-fashioned ...
  2. Pivotal Events in History

by , 05-16-2015 at 03:31 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was thinking about a piece of fiction that I’m writing; it is built around a somewhat mysterious event that led to great changes in the world. It was a simple murder by an unknown attacker that led to religious persecutions, the Inquisition, and great political changes in Europe. This got me to thinking about other pivotal events in history, so I leaned back and started thinking. I made a list of a dozen or so, but there must be more. I searched online, and found a few similar lists, but most ...

Updated 05-20-2015 at 05:21 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Time Keeping

by , 05-13-2015 at 07:54 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have thought up yet another proposal for the reform of time keeping. I was sitting in Starbucks this morning, mourning the lateness of the opening time six AM and remembering watching the sky brighten while sitting that same location, when it occurred to me that setting time by the Sun is a very good idea; people still live by the Sun, even though they use clocks to determine the time.

I first noticed how humans keep Sun time when I was working in Lewiston, Maine for several months. ...
  4. Free Speech and Its Utility

by , 05-10-2015 at 06:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The idea of free speech has been around for quite a while. It was essential to Ancient Greek democracy, and in ancient times the suppression of free speech was often a clear sign that government was acting badly. The actual origins of the idea of free speech aren't important, and the origins predate history, so there is a limit on what we can say about it. But the re-emergence of free speech during and after the Reformation and during the Age of Reason is very important to the concept of free speech ...

Updated 05-11-2015 at 10:10 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. What's Wrong With Logic?

by , 05-05-2015 at 09:26 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Yesterday I found an article about the inability of the climate scientists to make accurate predictions, http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/04/25...tipping-point/
    . Those people have been prophesizing disaster for decades, but they have been as wrong as the people who predict the end of the world. Biblical prophets with records like that would have been sent into the wilderness, or worse. But the climate scientists don't seem to be bothered by facts, but they ...

Updated 07-27-2015 at 01:52 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized