View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Replacing Drugs with Sex

by , 01-25-2023 at 03:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Humans often ask the wrong questions, then are disappointed when the answers do not work, or work as they would have liked. A realm where that is blinding clear is in regard to the drugs that people use for amusement. Many people ask or wonder about the reasons for drug use, but the answers that they see often related to family, upbringing, environment, socialization, etc., but there is little said about neurotransmitters and hormones. Much drug use is an attempt to get the level of something back ...
  2. Eliminating Trash

by , 12-28-2022 at 05:02 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few days ago, I wrote a post extolling the virtues of thermal depolymerization for the disposal of the bodies of the dead, and that is a good idea, but since then I noticed many places that had multiple bins for the disposal of trash. It bothered me that there were so many bins, and that people were expected to sort their trash, because it could all go into a thermal depolymerization unit and the organic matter can be reduced to short chain hydrocarbon oil.
    The process converts long hydrocarbon ...
  3. Democracy and weapons

by , 12-10-2022 at 05:14 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Apparently, many people do not understand what democracy is, and many of them mistakenly think that the U.S.A. is a democracy. Democracy means that the people rule, from the Greek demos kratos. In a democracy, the people in assembly vote on the laws and how the state will be governed; how much will be paid to whom for doing whatever. That erroneous thinking results in republic and democracy being conflated. A republic is a form of government in which the people choose representatives who determine ...
  4. Inflation 2022

by , 11-15-2022 at 06:27 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don’t often have much conversation with clerks in stores, but yesterday evening, the check out clerk in a CVS apologized for the inflation. I briefly explained that it wasn’t his fault, that it is due to policy for the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department. He then said that CVS sometimes raises prices in anticipation of price hikes.

We spent a while trying to get each other to change his mind. He had a set of facts, and I know the underlying reasons, so neither of us changed ...
  5. Unmarketting

by , 10-09-2022 at 03:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    We all know that the advertising and marketing businesses sell the worst things to the people who are least capable of understanding that they are being robbed. There is nothing new about convincing people to pay for things that will do them no good at all. Socrates ranted against useless products twenty five hundred years, and in thanks, the leaders of Athens ordered him to drink a poison hemlock brew. In the end, Socrates was dead, and written language, for one thing, was more entrenched. The ...